CENSORED

It wouldn't have been an adventure if Emma didn't bloody burn down a building. I wasn't mad, but just slightly disappointed that she lit The Priest Hole on fire. What did the people there ever to do her? I mean, while my multiple visits there haven't been the best, the people there are generally quite nice. And Heather used to tell me that they put on some pretty nice karaoke shows, too.

Emma was currently talking to Miss Peregrine at the moment, and had Millard and I babysitting Jacob. I just sat down in the nearest chair, and flipped through Millard's journal. I was already done with the day. 

"You're not afraid I'll eat your brain, or something?" Jacob asked Millard, and I snorted. 

"Goodness, Jacob, this isn't Night of the Living Dead," I retorted. "Zombies are the only monsters out there who eat brains, and even children know that those are works of fiction."

Unless you knew Enoch, of course. But I didn't believe Jacob Portman was ready for that type of information. He might pee himself, or start crying again. And that would just be awkward.

"Wait, I'm confused," Jacob stated. Me too, buddy. "If you're from 1940, how come you know about that movie? Didn't it come out in the 70's?"

American, and has a good taste in movies. I must say, if Emma didn't murder him, I would love to befriend him some time!

"It came out in the 60's, actually," I said. "I'm not originally from here. I came to this loop in 1972, but that's a long story. Maybe I'll explain it to you later."

It became quiet again, and Jacob looked out the window. Someone kicked a ball into one of Fiona's hedges, and were trying to get it down. It wasn't the way I would have done it, but oh well. 

"Enjoying the show?" Millard asked. "There are far easier ways to retrieve that ball, but they know they have an audience."

"Don't act like you wouldn't do the same!" I shot back at Millard with a laugh. "Remember when you showed me around Cairnholm for the first time? You kept telling me unnecessary information about everything.  You're as much of a show-off as everyone else here."

Jacob was still looking outside the window when he spoke again. "I don't mean to be rude, but what are you people?"

"We're peculiar," Millard said, sounding confused. "Aren't you?"

"I don't know. I don't think so."

I looked at Millard, obviously concerned. His grandfather really most not have told him anything. Especially not anything about how you must be peculiar to enter a loop. 

"Can I ask another kind of personal question?" Jacob asked again.

"Go ahead," I said, speaking for both me and Millard.

"How have you two been able to keep your relationship up for so long?" He asked. I felt myself blush, which made Jacob embarrassed. "I mean, I'm assuming you two are dating, because you seem really close, and-"

"Oh no, that's not it at all!" I said, shaking my head wildly. "Millard and I– we're just friends."

Jacob seemed really embarrassed, and so did I. Well, I wanted to die. I mean, I'm not complaining about the compliment. In fact, over the years I have became very close with Millard, and becoming more than friends has crossed my mind multiple times. Sometimes, there would be days where I need to remind myself that I'm not allowed to fall in love, especially because we already had a strong bond and I didn't want to ruin it. 

"If it makes you feel any better," Millard said. "Everyone here thinks that of us, but it really isn't true. We just so happened to be really close, like Watson and Holmes."