Mandatory Breakfast

Heather woke up very, very hungover. This, sadly enough, put a smile on my face, and I was the first person to greet her that day. She popped into my room at nine in the morning, covering her eyes, and groaning.

"God, I think my brain might actually leap out of my head and kill me," she complained.

"Well, that's how you make me feel on a day to day basis, love," I said, while grabbing something to change into.

After finding a simple navy blue dress, I searched my old suitcase for a pair of sunglasses for Heather to wear. Heather's suffering may have brought me joy into my life once more, but I should at least give her some dignity back. This was going to be a story I would tell people, once I was no longer scared of Miss Peregrine.

"Did you come here just to mope," I asked, "because I need to change."

"Right, sorry."

Heather cursed softly under her breath, and grabbed the sunglasses from me. Then, begrudgingly, she walked out of my room.

Today was going to be a good day.

I changed into the dress, and brushed my hair, all while humming my favorite song from The Who, called My Generation. I sort of wished I brought some of my (or Heather's) albums, but neither of us knew what we would have gotten ourselves into on this vacation. Our three week holiday turned into a forever experience! Yay!

I ended up singing to myself out loud; swinging my hips and smiling widely to myself. I played the imaginary keyboard, as well as an imaginary guitar. Sure, I wasn't the best singer or performer in the world, but I was only trying to impress myself.

Then I heard a knock on the door, and immediately stopped singing. The door opened, and Emma popped her head in. She looked up and down with curious eyes, most likely to try and figure out why I was standing on my bed, mid-guitar session.

"Miss Peregrine wants everyone at breakfast, today," Emma said. She gently closed the door, and I quickly got down from the bed.

I brushed out the wrinkles in my skirt, and slipped some warm socks on. Quickly enough, I went downstairs to see why we were having a mandatory breakfast.

The rules of the house when it came to meals, was that you technically only need to come to dinner. That was when we got all the news from Miss Peregrine, and we would check up on everyone's days. Technically, we didn't even need to eat breakfast and lunch, but we had to make our own snacks.

So having everyone in the dining area during the morning time was very strange. Some people regularly came to breakfast, like Emma and Bronwyn, who were typically always ready for the day and already dressed. Others seemed to be new at this whole Getting Up In The Morning thing, and were still in their sleepwear, trying not to fall asleep. (Cough, cough, Enoch)

Miss Peregrine, in all her scary glory, was sitting at the head of the table, staring down everyone. No one talked, and we all waited for the last seat to be filled. Unsurprisingly, this was Heather, still in her nightgown, with a nice pair of pink shades on. She took her seat, and yawned.

"Now, I understand that you all are curious as to why I have summoned you all here this morning, " Miss Peregrine said.

No one responded.

"You all know my rules," The Bird cautioned. "And you all know the consequences, which is why I'm curious as to why two of my wards decided to break them."

I suddenly felt very sick, and I made quick glances at Heather and Victor. Both seemed uneasy as well, and fell very quiet.

"Of course, I'm not going to name who these two may be, assuming that you all already know."