Tales of the Peculiar

I gasped when I walked into the library for the first time. It was a good size for a room; not too huge, but not too cramped. Rows of books on glossy brown shelves stood parallel to a beautiful fireplace. Three reading chairs were tucked near the mantel, and there would be a couple of wooden chairs scattered between the book stacks.

I made a mental note to have Emma or Heather light a fire in here one day, so I could soak in the entire place. After all, what's the use of having a fireplace if you're not going to use it to sit and read by? Maybe I could stare dramatically in it and monologue to myself, just like the true theatric villain I was. Plus I would have my little fluffy white cat on my lap, and a cup of hot tea in my hands. I would look super badass in the red light that the fire casts, while I have a pile of evil books on the floor....

"(Y/N)!" I heard Millard say. "How are you?"

I jumped when I first heard his voice, then tried not to look like I was spooked by him. I just didn't see him in the room, was all. 

"I'm doing well," I said, "thanks. And you?"

"Good, although I am a bit shocked to see you here. Aren't you supposed to be with Miss Peregrine right now?"

I just waved it off, and brushed some of my hair out of my face. "She ended it early, thank goodness. In fact, Miss P. told me to come here and find the-"

"Tales of the Peculiar?" Millard finished for me.

"Volume two, actually."

I smiled at his awkwardness. I wasn't going to lie-- he was really fricking weird, but in a good way! It really was like talking to a scholar who had too much Mountain Dew early in the morning. He often spoke very quickly, and would sometimes stumble on his words. After Heather had first met him, she winked at me, and muttered so only I could hear: "Looks like you found your match." 

I try to forget that Heather is mean to me.

He was too smart to be cooped up in a loop full of children, so he would often disappear for the whole day. But then he would come back from his little expedition absolutely bursting with new facts.

"Normally, the book is right here," Millard said as books would tip themselves out of the shelves.

He was currently holding books One and Three of Tales of the Peculiar. However, the second one seemed to have disappeared. But who would have taken it right now?

"Oops," Millard quietly said.

I raised an eyebrow and walked to be at his side, looking at the books.

"What is it?" I asked.

"I forgot that.... that I have that book right now," he muttered.

Then the books were put back on the shelf. I could hear Millard walking away and towards the door.

"Follow me," he said.

I still stood at the shelves, so I leaned against them, and asked, "And how am I supposed to do that?"

He wasn't holding anything, or wearing any clothes. I had no clue as to how I was supposed to follow an invisible person, when I had nothing to guide off of.

"Oh, right." Millard then walked over to me, and held my hand. "Okay, let's go."

* * *

It was weird going into a room that was not mine. However, it was actually neighborly close to my room, and we shared a bit of the rooftop together. It would be easy for me to climb out of Millard's window, and get into my room no problem. (Just in case anything bad were to happen, of course. It just seemed like information that may help out later, but not as a plot device or anything!)