viii - conflict

Rey shivered in Ben's arms, suddenly aware of how cold the rain and air were against her exposed skin. Her blanket was left dry under the awning of the receiving post by the landing pad, thank the Maker.

Ben noticed her shaking and ran to grab his bag, closing the shuttle door at the same time. Rey grabbed the blanket, wrapping it around her shivering frame before taking his hand and running towards the tiny shed again. He followed, trusting there wouldn't be an ambush waiting for them.

Once inside, Rey climbed on the bed, crossing her legs and leaned against the corner of the room, pillows protecting her back from the hard stucco walls. The blanket swallowed her whole and her hair was an absolute wreck, but she never looked more beautiful to Ben. She extended a hand, inviting him to sit. He dropped the bag and sat beside her, sliding his hand into her open one. He would never get used to the way his stomach swooped when Rey touched him. Suddenly, he remembered his mother, the way he completely passed out from the emotions that overcame him on the shuttle.

"I never got to say goodbye to her...as her son," Ben's lip quivered as he spoke quietly. Like he'd shatter the air if he was any louder. Squeezing Rey's small hand, he continued. "I wish I came sooner, so I could've spoken to her," his voice was so small and broken, Rey pulled him against her chest and he sobbed while clutching her midsection. She played with his hair and cried with him, not wishing for him to feel alone in this moment of sorrow.

"She made sure you wouldn't be thrown in prison as soon as you landed and she wanted to meet you when you arrived. She loved you then and still loves you now, more than ever," Rey whispered to a sniffling Ben, who was starting to fall asleep whilst listening to her sweet and soft voice. Soon his chest was rising and falling in an easy pattern and Rey followed, closing her eyes and listening to the pattering of rain outside the window...but there was something else.

Her eyes flew open and she immediately looked to the window on her left. There was someone outside. Ben was fast asleep so she carefully slipped out of his arms and pulled on her boots and vest. Grabbing her staff, she carefully snuck out into the drizzle. The sunrise wasn't far behind, seeing just a little light in the sky. When she got to the window, she didn't find anyone. Furrowing her brows, Rey wondered if her senses were playing tricks on her when she saw the boot prints directly under the window. Kneeling, she inspected them. Standard-issue Resistance boots.

She was about to call out when a powerful arm wrapped around her and a cloth went over her mouth, wet with an unfamiliar chemical. Struggling, Rey tried to escape whoever was holding her when the chemicals sunk in, knocking her out.

The man holding her placed her against the shed, quickly throwing her staff as far as he could into the woods. Then, hauling her over his back, he walked to the shuttle Ben stole and placed her in the common area, binding her wrists and ankles. He proceeded to the cockpit and removed the mask concealing his lower face, taking a deep breath.

Dax sat in the pilots chair for a moment, the turned to see Rey, unconscious and here against her will. Turning back to face the control board, he shook his head, hoping that General Hux wouldn't hurt the innocent girl. It wasn't right to do this, but what choice did Dax have? It was either his daughter's life or Rey's, and it was clear what he would choose. He started the shuttle, and spoke into his responder while leaving Naboo. "The little bird has been caught, awaiting rendezvous coordinates," he said in a grim tone.

General Hux had a twisted smile on his face. He sent Dax the coordinates and responded, saying "Good. We will prepare her cage for her arrival," the corners of his thin lips curled up. Oh, he couldn't wait to see how the mighty Kylo Ren would react to his precious scavenger being captured by the First Order.

/ / / / / /

Any guesses for the Episode ix title?

/ / / / / /

Word count: 724
Vote if you like it, comment if you love it!
New chapter every week!