i - home

Twenty or so people sleeping in a ship built for at most, ten, was a bit complicated to figure out. Rey was lucky enough to snag a bed in the common area by using the rounded bench. She couldn't sleep. Not even if she tried. Ben's voice echoed in her mind every minute she lay awake.

Join me, please...

They haven't connected since she shut the door of the Millennium Falcon on him. Though she hoped he knew that it only meant she'd wait for him to make his choice. You know...on whether he'd choose power over her.

Sighing, she sat up and wrapped the slightly itchy blanket around her chilly form and walked barefoot to the cockpit, so as to not wake any of the worn out Resistance fighters. The now familiar humming of the engine and lights of the consoles calmed her, at least for now. Rey shut the door quietly and climbed into the pilot's seat, tucking her feet underneath her legs since it seemed the temperature in there was freezing.

Rey could feel the connection happen before he did. The sound of the world around her being silenced and the only noise she could hear was their breathing.

She looked to her right and saw him. He was asleep, upright in the copilot's chair, or what she guessed the throne room, where he was. He was wearing his usual black uniform, without gloves. His face was relaxed and pale, with violet half-moons stamped underneath his closed eyes. Rey didn't want to pry by seeing what he was dreamt, so she simply enjoyed his calming presence.

Ben soon woke by his own device, head lolling a bit too far to the side, and he looked around blearily to see Rey sitting beside him. She was in a simple grey tunic, no armbands or vest. Her hair was in a simple half down style and she had a massive blanket on as a shawl. Her face was pensive and exhausted. She seemed to be deliberately avoiding his gaze.

"I wish I could shout," Rey whispered when she noticed he was awake. "I wish I could shout at you and make you understand." Bens eyes flicked up to meet hers, a big mistake on his part. They were full of emotion and almost sadness. He was sure she'd unravel him if he wasn't careful. Ben sighed.

"Help me then," he replied with an unsteady voice, uncharacteristic for his personality. "I want to understand you, Rey. Much more than you know."

Rey took a deep breath, saying, "I'm not asking you to choose. Not anymore. I've come to know that things aren't as black and white as the light and dark used to be." Her hands were shaking, so she gripped the blanket tight. "What you said in the throne room was almost right." Ben thought back to his encounter with her on the Supremacy.

"Almost," he smirked, thinking of his desire to rule the galaxy with her at his side. He blinked then looked out at the stars. "The Force seems to be handling our destinies for us anyway...why should we tamper with it?" Ben whispered, seemingly to no one.

She half-smiled at him and a single tear fell from her right eye. Ben noticed and reached over, startling Rey at first. The pad of his thumb just barely grazed her cheek, wiping the tear away. His hand lingered in the air between them and Rey took it, letting their fingers link together. They fell asleep once more, but this time, they both felt content and safe for the first time in a very long time.

The air around them seemed to thrum with energy and something more. Both of them knew in the back of their minds that they were connected for a reason. It's not clear why, but for now...

This was enough.

/ / / / / /

Word count: 650
Vote if you like it, comment if you love it!
New chapter every week!