Chapter 48: Something's Gotta Give

Start from the beginning

My thoughts were suddenly interrupted by my phone buzzing on the bed next to me. I rolled over to see my manager's name popping up on my home screen.

Roger: Do you have a minute?

Oh, great. I was already dealing with enough and now I was probably going to have to handle some PR bullshit on my day off. I sighed and called the older man, not wasting any time by texting him back first.

"That was fast." he answered.

"I was by my phone." I said flatly.

"Are you alright?"

"I'm fine. Just tired. What's up?"

"So, Matthew went a little rogue."

"What do you mean?" I asked, my eyes widening

"He sort of alluded to the fact that he wanted to start a family and now there are speculations that you..."

"That I'm pregnant?" I practically yelled.

"Not quite. But just that that's the direction you guys are headed in. I mean, technically this is good, but--"

"How is this good? This is insane!"

"It's not true, C. Breathe."

"Well, obviously, it's not true, but that doesn't make it any less insane!"

"Look, I'm just giving you a heads up so you're not blindsided. Best thing to do is to just not comment."

"Like I've been doing."

"Yes. Everything's going to be fine. Remember, appearances are enough. Don't say anything."

"Oh boy. Alright. Well, thanks for letting me know."

"Yeah. Have a good one, C. Take this time to relax."

"Will do, Rogerino."

The second I hung up, I threw my phone down onto the bed and let out a deep sigh. Was Matthew crazy? What the heck was he thinking? I swear, he was having so much more fun with this than I was, and I was sort of starting to resent him for it.

I plopped back down onto my bed, my head falling directly into my soft pillow, and stared up at the ceiling. She was the first thing that came to mind: again, always, inevitably. There were so many words and phrases attached to the green eyed girl at this point. She consumed me.

So, slowly coming to the realization that we were actually done for good was tearing me apart and eating me up inside. Her birthday had really been the final straw.

Or so I thought.

..............................................................

August 4th, 2018

8:00 P.M.

Lauren