Chapter 1

Luna's POV

8 years ago in South Carolina

When Ms. Single goes to sleep I can sneak into her office to see if I can get any information from the files to see if finally just maybe find out if I can see my parents or at least know their names. I've been at Bluebird Orphanage since I was born. The only thing I was brought in with was a black locket that I can't open without a key I tried breaking it and everything nothing works.

I'm not treated nicely here I get called a nigger and other racist slurs every day. Ms. Single is caucasian and so are most of the kids I'm the only black person.

She reminds me every day that I'm not wanted and about slavery how my ancestors were enslaved to her ancestors and how she's my master and I'm the slave.

She let me know about the history to the point where I wasn't allowed to read or write but like any black person did I learned behind her back.

She even let the white kids beat me up. Even though they beat me and tell me these things you would think I would fear white people.

I don't fear white people because I believe not everyone is like that. My heart doesn't hold hate it holds to love.

Creeping into Ms. Single room I see she's sound asleep. Creeping out of her room I went downstairs to her office and went towards her filing cabinet.

I searched for Parker she keeps her files in alphabetical order by last names finally I found Parker I grabbed my folder.

I took a shaky breath in and let it out with a shaky hand picking up the folder opening it and read.

My heart dropped all it said was 'DO NOT CONTACT US.' My parents don't even wanna see how I grew up they don't wanna see the mistake they had.

"HEY, WHAT ARE YOU DOING IN HERE". I looked up and Ms. Single was looking down at me with her makeup smug from when she was sleeping and teeth yellow as the sun.

"I-I umm wa-as just-." I got cut off with a hard slap to my face I looked at Ms. Single I'm shocked. "Did yo-ou ju-just slap me?" I stutter.

"Yes, I wanted to do that since you first got here all you did was cry and cry I got sick of it but I couldn't do it because CPS was gonna come and I need my check for taking care of you but I don't care anymore. What did I tell you about talking now you're gonna learn your lesson. You never listen you nigger."

It's not the first time she abused me she'll just hit me but every time she hits me I would still be shocked I think she was too drunk to remember that she already abused me before. The last time she cut my wrist so deep I passed out due to a loss of blood. I still have my scars I don't think they'll ever go away.

⚠️Warning may trigger some people⚠️

She pulled me by my hair up the stairs and into a room I never notice as I was crying and screaming for her to let me go all I got was a hard slap in return that'll leave a bruise since I bruised very easily. All the other kids were sleeping at least I think they were but then again none of them would care. Inside the room, there was a whip, a headboard thingy, and a couple more scary things. "You are about to get punished."

After what felt like hours which probably was hours she let me go with a broken jaw, I believe a sprained ankle, whiplashes on my back, arms, and legs, a black eye, a busted lip, and cuts on my wrist that barely healed. She threw me and my things out.

🚫Warning over🚫

As I limped down the street looking for a homeless shelter I found a homeless shelter but none of them would take a beaten-up little girl. It's probably because I have no guardian with me. But I did found an abandoned building and put my things in there and stayed up that whole night I couldn't sleep I was hurting too bad.

I did go to the hospital the next morning. The doctor kept asking me questions when she notices I wasn't gonna answer she sighed and told me to wait there but of course I left.

After leaving the hospital I bumped into this man with a scar on his eyebrow he had a chain around his neck but I couldn't see what was at the bottom his shirt was hiding it so was mine. He picked me up I immediately got scared.

"Aww, it's okay mea hoʻoili I won't hurt you." And I believed him. (Princess)

"What happened to you mea hoʻoili?" I didn't answer he sigh.

"Where are your parents?" I kept my head down.

"Can you answer me please at least answer one question?"

"They are at the shelter." He sighs and nods.

"It was nice meeting you." He said I nodded my head and for some reason, I don't know what the reason was but I hugged him and he hugged me back.

He put me down and left I sigh relief. Little did I know that a small encounter was gonna change my life in the future.

Present time

It's been 8 years since the incident and I don't talk to people or trust people and I still have my scars. I still get nightmares I could be having a good day than at night. BOOM I get nightmares of the torture.

In my spare time which I always have I go to the library and read.

I do talk to Ace though. Ace is my guard dog I found him about 2 years ago he was in the alley and it seems like he was waiting for me. I remember I walked past him and he started following me. The only thing I find strange about him is he disappeared for one day every month.

The first time I saved enough money to go to the vet I try to pay but the vet said it was already paid for. I ask who paid but he said it was anonymous. I go to the same vet and Ace shots are still free.

I still live in the abandoned building though I kind of redecorate it.

The walls are black it's the only color I could find in the alley at the time. But some posters are hanging up of a sponge which I believe the name was Spongebob, a bunny standing on its two hind legs and a carrot in his hand a bubble with dots leaving his mouth it said " What's up Doc?" and a lot of other cartoons I think they're cartoons.

I found a bed next to the dumpster me and Ace sleep on it. For some reason, it's looked new.

Now I know you're thinking what do you for clothes or how do you wash off? Since I have no job I use the restroom at the gas station to wash off and I go to Goodwill there is an older white lady there she's so sweet to me she gave me 3 large men shirts two pairs of shorts and two pairs of pants and for the restroom, I go to this 24-hour fitness gym and use their restroom since it's a 5-minute walk from where I live, unlike the gas station.

What do you do for food? I just sit in a place where a lot of people will be at and have my sign with me it says 'Starving may I please have some food.' The last time I ate was 4 days ago.

"Maybe this time I'll get lucky," I said to Ace. He just barks.

"You wanna come with me?" I asked him in my thick southern accent. Ace jumps up and down and starts running around me.

"Come on buddy." I grab a piece of string and tied it around Ace's collar and grab my sign and headed toward the mall.

Comment, Like, and Subscribe 😇.