Allies

⚜️

It all started that night, the night I got bitten. You remember the way it was before that? You and me, we were—we were nothing. We weren't popular. We weren't good at lacrosse. We weren't important. We were no one. Maybe I should just be no one again. No one at all.

________________________

The relief of having averted the death of one of his friends was overpowered by the deaths of two innocent people and likely many more to come. Danny was about to become the least of his worries. Scott quickened his pace to the front door, juggling his keys to find the right one. With shaking hands the metal key hit the corners of the lock without entering the hole and he huffed exasperatingly. "Calm down, calm down," he commanded himself and took a deep breath.

Before he could try again, his skin prickled along his spine setting the hair on the back of his neck on end. Someone was watching him. Studying him. Quickly he ran through his options, run or fight. The first only gave him minimal chance of escaping while the latter only increased the likelihood of death. He decided on neither.

"How'd you find where I live?"

"I had help," the figure lurking behind him answered with no hesitation. No indication that she cared she'd been caught. Her voice was unusually meek for someone he suspected was there to kill him, but he wouldn't let that deceive him.

"Isaac," Scott guessed and turned to look at the seemingly human girl concealed within the shadows. Only with his heightened senses was he able to make out her features in the dark. Her face was paler than he remembered and her cheeks were puffy from the tears streaming down them. Not the face of a murderer, he thought hopefully.

"He said you would help me," she continued and kept her expression hard and composed in spite of the tears making her appear feeble. But it was in her silver-lined eyes that Scott saw more than sadness. He saw cold, endless rage that sucked the liveliness from her brown irises. He held back from saying whatever Isaac had told her was untrue, and listened instead. "They took something from me," she bit out and her closed fist motioned to the unseen 'they' she was referring to.

Scott knew exactly who she was talking about. The pack of ruthless predators that had been wreaking havoc in all their lives: the alphas.

"Something important," she paused to gather herself when a sob—of anger—cracked her voice. "I need you to help me make them pay. Make them suffer for what they did."

Her fist clenched tighter over the small object she was holding and he strained to see what it was. "If you don't, it won't stop me, even if it means going through you too."

"I'll help you," Scott agreed hastily, "but it has to be on my terms. No innocent people die."

Stricken with grief, Elena Gilbert slipped the large lapis lazuli daylight ring engraved with a silver D onto her ring finger. It took her much longer to agree to his conditions than it normally would have. She didn't want restrictions, she wanted revenge. The loss devouring her soul was enough to flip her humanity switch, but instead there she was, barely clinging to her sanity, negotiating with a werewolf.

Elena extended her hand with the two rings and Scott reached for it with calculating eyes. "Can I trust you?"

"The enemy of my enemy is my friend," she replied tersely and shook his hand once before releasing it. The touch of anyone but her lost love seemed like a betrayal. Elena could only imagine what he would say in his barely concealable jealousy, the thought nearly made her reach out to touch Scott again in hopes it would stir his ghost.