All-American Boy

⚜️

Sometimes it pays off to be the only normal one in a town full of vampires. I'm practically invisible.

________________________

Matt sat back on his heels and admired his work. With a slapping sound of latex, he removed his yellow gloves and tossed them into the mop bucket beside him. The intense, burgundy stain that had saturated the white carpet was gone leaving it just as immaculate as it had been before.

His proud smile fell after a second of grim reflection. What did it say about his life if he'd concocted a mixture of liquid that could remove blood from virtually any surface? It'd taken a few tries, but he'd had multiple opportunities to test it out. Matt sighed and got to his feet taking the bucket sloshing with brown tinted water.

"Oh hey, you got the stain out," Jeremy remarked with a nod of approval as he walked past him into the living room. He carried a cross bow in one hand and a shot gun in the other.

"Yeah, I used dish soap and..." Jeremy kept walking even as Matt was talking to him, "hydrogen peroxide."

The door adjacent to him opened and Damon sauntered out drying his hands with a towel. His skin was pinkish and apparently Matt hadn't withheld his disgust from his expression well enough. Maybe he'd resorted to torture for his interrogation. It wouldn't be the first time.

"I can scrub blood from a carpet too, Donovan," he explained flatly and pushed open his door further as proof. The long trail of blood that had began at the entrance to his room to his bathroom was gone. Any evidence that they had drug a very heavy and bloody body through there had been cleaned away.

Matt's expression relaxed, "excuse me if I'm quick to assume."

He wasn't sure if he'd ever fully trust Damon. There was just too much history between them to be cast aside and forgotten. The only flaw with that was the same could be said for Rebekah. She'd driven him off Wickery Bridge leaving Stefan to save him just before he could drown. Elena had been the one to pay the price because of that.

But he didn't harbor the same hatred and suspicion against her. In fact, he loved Rebekah.

She was damaged and vengeful when they first met, and he was the first to admit he despised the wicked person she was then. But somehow along the way he became the one who would help piece her back together. In doing that, he saw the true kindness and good that lay waiting underneath her skin of steel.

Matt supposed he was always meant to fall for her. She was the beautiful and surprisingly sweet girl who had opened his eyes to the world outside of Mystic Falls, Virginia.

"Is he saying anything yet?" Matt asked after a moment of silence. Damon sucked in a breath and shook his head, "nothing. Not how he got out of the building, not how he survived that fall, and not why he showed up at our doorstep."

"Do you think he could be a working with the alphas? You know, to get to us?" He voiced the concern they both dreaded. Damon had brought Derek into the house because Stefan would have done the same thing. On the same token, Stefan too would have suffered the consequences of doing that good deed which included possibly falling into a trap.

"I don't know, but it wouldn't make sense. Not after they tried to kill him, and the rest of his teenage mutts."

"Not unless it was for show. After all, Isaac is living with us."