Ch22

You're sitting on the couch, studying the lines on your hands in a vain attempt to distract yourself from Brock rushing around your apartment. He jogs past you again, and you shoot an icy glare towards his back as he disappears into your room to retrieve the last of his gear.

You let out a loud sigh as you throw your head back against the couch cushions and stare at the ceiling. Taking a deep breath you close your eyes, hold, and slowly release the breath in what sounds more like an annoyed groan than a sigh. When you open your eyes again your view of the ceiling is blocked by Brock's form leaning over you from behind the couch, he gives a sympathetic smile and brushes your cheek softly with his knuckles.

"Please, don't be mad at me." He pleads, resting his forearms on the back of the couch to hold his face inches from yours.

You study his eyes for a moment, searching for something, anything that you can use; you only find yourself unable to stay angry with him.

You reach up and run your fingers through his hair. "I can't stay mad at you, I just feel like you aren't letting me do my job."

He lightly presses his lips to your forehead, then your temple, and then climbs over the back of the couch to flop next to you. "I know you want to go on this mission, but I think it's too soon after what happened." He raises his hand to hold off your interruption, causing you to close your mouth and attempt to listen to his reasoning. "To be honest, I'm the one that isn't ready for you to go back into the field yet. Can you just wait a little while longer? I'll be going with Cap, Black Widow, and the rest of Strike team; it'll be like taking candy from a baby, you won't even miss anything it'll be such an easy mission."

You glance over at the bags of gear he packed, contemplating an argument, but instead decide to let him have this one. Maybe he and Steve will finally get to like each other. You chew at the inside of your lip for a moment before returning your attention back to the conversation. "Okay, I'll stay back. On one condition."

The smile fades from his face as he scratches the stubble of his jaw. "Your conditions aren't something I'm overly fond of..."

"I will stay back, for this mission, and then I'm back in the field. Deal?"

He runs a hand down his face and shakes his head, a chuckle rumbling in his chest as he starts to smile. "I guess that's as good a deal as I'll get out of you." He wraps an arm around you, pulling you in for a kiss to seal the deal.

"So how did some pirates manage to get ahold of a Shield vessel anyway? Much less have the courage to ask for a ransom?"

Brock shrugs and pulls your legs across his lap, snaking his arms around you to hold you close. "Not sure, orders were to get our people out by any means necessary and that's all I need to know."

You frown slightly, his blind obedience is viewed by some as loyalty, but you aren't so sure it's always a good thing.

Brock stands up suddenly, keeping his hold to carry you bridal style.

You quickly wrap your arms around his neck to hold on. "Where are we going?"

"I want you with me until we leave, so you're coming out to the aircraft with me." He smiles and nips at your neck playfully.

You unravel your arms from around his neck as he sets you down, and set your hands on your hips as you make a show of pretending to be deep in thought. "So..." You furrow your brows and shake your head. "Not only do I have to stay behind, but you want me to escort you out to the bird and wave happily as you leave for a mission without me? And, might I add, with my best friend; without me."