Ch19

It has been over a week since your run in with Brock at the gym, and he seemed to be going to great lengths to avoid you. You aren't sure if you did something, or if this is just how he really is now that he's gotten what he wanted from you.

You're stirred from your thoughts as Lauren ushers you to enter Pierce's office. You close the door behind you and take your usual seat in front of his desk, glad it's only the two of you today. Or just glad Brock isn't here...

"I've decided to send you." Pierce speaks, not looking up from his paperwork.

You're slightly bewildered, hoping he doesn't mean what you think he does. "Excuse me, sir?"

"You." He glances up and removes his glasses, folding his hands on the desk patiently. "I'm sending you after Rollins."

You nod slowly, your worries now confirmed. You clear your throat and sit up straight before asking, "When will we be leaving sir?"

The corner of his mouth twitches up slightly as he shakes his head. "I'm afraid you misunderstand Agent, I'm only sending you. You will leave immediately"

You feel your chest tighten nervously, but manage to mutter a 'yes sir' as he returns to his paperwork. You know very well that the meeting is over, and return to your room to prepare.

6 weeks later, Brock POV:

Why isn't she back yet?! Why did Pierce send her? He should have sent me...or even Cap, but not her!

I burst through the door to Pierce's office, ignoring the worried ramblings of Lauren from behind her desk as I shut -and lock- the door behind me.

I turn to face him, seeing only a calm smile on his face as he looks up from his work.

"I wasn't aware we had a meeting, Rumlow." He says, calmly motioning for me to sit.

"Have you heard anything from her?" I ask, the worry in my voice definitely more obvious than I would like.

He sighs and leans back in his chair, motioning again to the seat in front of his desk. "Take a seat."

I simply shake my head and wait patiently for him to answer, exactly how much of that patience I have left...I'm not so sure.

He purses his lips before speaking again. "Trust me. You need to take a seat before I tell you anything.

My breath catches, and a sharp pain radiates from my chest as I oblige and sit down.

"We lost contact a few days ago." He begins. "We have reason to believe she has been captured, and may be dead if not worse."

She's probably being tortured for more information.. I grip the arms of the chair and my jaw clenches as I try to retrain my anger. I can feel how uneven my breathing is, and the vein in my forehead thumping. I lean forward, taking a several deep breaths to level my head before speaking. "You sent her. This is your fault, now you have to make it right." I can hear my voice growing louder as I lose control on my anger. "You have to help her!"

Pierce sighs again and shakes his head. "There's nothing I can do right now, Brock. I've sent in someone to see if she's even alive, and if she is we will go from there. Until then, I suggest you remember your place."

I stand quickly, causing the chair to fall back behind me and Pierce to narrow his eyes as I lean over his desk towards him. "If you don't find her soon, I'm going after her myself."

I don't wait for a response, but instead storm out and slam the door behind me.

Your POV: