Chapter 20

I take everything I can find that belongs to us down to the car. As I come and go from the house, I hear shouting and bodies being thrown onto the ground. I don’t know if they’re trying to kill him or if Eli is screaming for his life to be spared. I hope they kill him. If they don’t I will. Knowing Daryl, he wouldn’t give me the opportunity. Regardless of what Jonah decides, I know Eli won’t be alive in the next few hours.

Now, I sit downstairs with Becca and Sam. Becca lays on the floor as she plays with Sam, and I stare out the window, attempting to ignore the shouting and the screaming.

All I want to do right now is leave. Even though things with Daryl are complicated when it’s just the two of us, I don’t think they were ever as complicated as this. I want it to be the two of us again along with Sam. I’m not sure what will happen once they kill Eli. All I see is Daryl wanting to get as far away from these people as possible, but there is a slight chance he might let Jonah and Becca come with us. As much as I want it to be just Daryl and me, I know our odds of surviving out there are far greater with Jonah on our side and –

My thoughts immediately stop cold when I hear a tapping at the sliding glass door. I turn to look at Becca, wondering if she’s heard the same thing.

“Did you hear that?” she questions with wide eyes.

Just as I’m about to answer, I hear a deep moan.

I already know what it is. There’s a walker outside.

“Stay here,” I say while I get up from the couch.

I go into the dining room, grabbing my knife from my pocket, and make sure to stay where the walker can’t see me. Once I get close enough, I can make out its outline in the dark. Its growls get louder as the shouting from upstairs increases.

Taking a deep breath, I unlock the door. It crashes through the small opening I make by opening the door and before I have any chance to hesitate I drive my knife through its skull. The body falls to the floor, landing across my feet. It’s so dark in the house, but judging by the length of its hair I assume it to have been a woman. I try to imagine who she was before – before the world ended and everything went to shit. I wonder if she was a wife or a mother.

Grabbing her by her ankles, I begin dragging the lifeless body outside onto the porch. The night air is cold against my skin. It makes me want to stay outside. It’s pitch black. I’m not sure what it is I trip over.

“What the hell are you doing out here?”

His voice makes me jump out of my skin.

“There was a walker at the door, so I killed it. I was just dragging the body outside so it wouldn’t be in the house,” I explain.

He nods. “I thought you might of been tryin’ to run away or somethin’.”

“Yeah because that makes sense,” I laugh.

Even in the dark, I can see the outline of his arms and the perfect shape of his face.

“Is he dead?” I ask.

Daryl draws a long breath. “Yeah he is. Once it’s light out, you and me are leavin’.”

“Are Becca and Jonah coming too?”

“No. This is his home and he said it was best if he and Becca stayed here.”

“Okay then,” I say.

We leave as soon as the sun rises. And it’s actually somewhat difficult saying goodbye to Jonah and Becca. Jonah did nothing but care for me and it’s hard for me to leave Becca after knowing what she’s been through. Before we leave, she tightly hugs my waist, burying her face in my stomach.