Chapter 5

I spend the next few days helping out around the farmhouse. And whenever Maggie’s not with Glenn, I am. I enjoy his company. I should probably try to befriend someone else around here, but I like Glenn. I like spending time with him. I can tell Maggie doesn’t like it. I pretend not to notice.

“Okay,” he says. “Your turn.”

I take the hammer from him and start on the fence.

“So, uh, you should tell me more about this Jayson guy when you’re up for it.” He takes a drink from his water bottle as the Georgia sun beats down on us.

One of the few things I don’t like about Glenn: how nosey he is.

But I am ready to tell him. Our friendship really has grown since we spent that day in town, getting supplies.

“Um, okay,” I begin. “I met him and his wife just a few weeks after the outbreak. And then I don’t know, Sarah went kind of crazy and Jayson and I just kind of happened.”

“Crazy?” he questions.

“Yeah, crazy. She went mute and stopped talking to the both of us. I guess the fear got to her or something.”

“But that didn’t stop you from going for her husband? How old was the guy anyway?” His tone is accusatory and I don’t understand why he cares. He didn’t know them.

“He was 26 and I’m 21. There wasn’t some gross age gap like what you’re thinking. And yes, Glenn it wasn’t right. What I did was wrong,” I say, wanting nothing more than to change the topic. “Like you’ve never done something that wasn’t right in your life before?”

He doesn’t say anything for a while. I keep working on the fence, reinforcing it so the walkers can’t break through like they did yesterday and Laurie ended up being the one to kill it. I don’t think I’ve ever seen Rick so upset.

“You know how I told you why we let you stay with us was because we had made mistakes in the past, killing people who didn’t deserve to die?” he says finally.

“Yeah, I remember.”

“There was this girl who came to us, she was probably only a few years older than you, and she said she had lost her daughter. But I didn’t believe her. The last group of people we ran into almost ended up killing all of us and taking all our stuff, so I didn’t believe her,” he shifts uncomfortably beside me and pauses for a second.  “I thought she was just like them. So I killed her.”

He exhales. “Two days later we found her daughter wondering around in the woods. But it was too late. She had come down with some sort of infection from being out in the cold too long and died the next day.”

I don’t say anything for a few moments. “I mean none of that is really your fault. You really can’t trust anyone anymore. I trusted the wrong people and it almost got me killed. It killed two people I cared about,” I explain, hoping he doesn’t feel guilty anymore.

“But it was my fault. All of it is my fault. I killed some little girl’s mother and I made it so we couldn’t find her daughter in time.” There’s perspiration on his forehead and grease in his hair, yet somehow he looks close to beautiful.

“You did what you thought was best. Honestly, because of what I’ve been through-almost getting eaten by my own kind, knowing my two friends got eaten by people- I would kill anyone I met out there. No second thoughts.”

“Really?” There’s hope in his voice, hope that he can actually forgive himself.

“Really.”

“So then I should have killed you right, Macy?” he laughs.

The sound of his laughter makes me smile. “Actually, yeah you probably should have.”