Chapter 3

It’s the first time I’ve ever been upstairs. The doors to the family room are open. Two large couches are in the center, along with toys scattered across the floor. I step on a few as I make my way to one of the bookshelves. I put my backpack on the highest shelf, hoping the kids won’t be able to reach it. I want to look at what books they have but I want to shower more.

The water is cold against my skin. The shampoo smells like cherry blossoms. There’s even soap in here. Particles of dirt collect at the drain, forcing me to realize how disgusting I am. When I finish, I change back into my dirty clothes and I still manage to feel ten times cleaner than before. I wipe the fog from the mirror and look at myself. Without the dirt on my face I actually manage to look somewhat decent. My scar looks bigger than it did the last time I caught a reflection of myself. My lashes need mascara even though that’s not really an option right now. It’s almost been a year since the world went to shit and I still feel the need to wear make-up.

“Macy?” Natalie knocks on the door.

I open the door right away, startling her.

“Sorry,” I apologize.

She laughs. “Oh, it’s all right. I was just gonna tell you dinner is ready. Now, Daryl is down there but everything will be all right. You know, my daughter Hanna really likes you and-”

I stop listening.

I follow her down the stairs and when we enter the kitchen, I see everyone is sitting at the dining room table. I guess when I met everyone I hadn’t realized how many people actually live here. The room is incredibly loud as voices bounce off the walls. Scott and Hanna sit at the end, fighting with each other, while Carl sits with his face propped up against his hand. Rick is beside him, staring at Laurie, who takes no notice of his staring. Maggie and Glenn are on the opposite side, holding hands even though they’re right next to each other. Crossbow is next to Glenn, and as soon as his eyes meet mine he immediately looks away with a frown. Next to him a baby is seated in a highchair. All babies look the same to me, I have no idea how old this one is. If he can prop himself up in a highchair I’m assuming he’s at least a year old.

I choose to sit diagonal from Crossbow, that way Natalie can sit directly in front of him so he won’t have to look at me. The plates already have food on them. There’s a small portion of peaches and some beans. I don’t comment on the odd pairing. It’s not a human being so I’m already beyond thrilled. As soon as Natalie sits down beside me everyone begins eating.

I don’t partake in conversation unless Natalie directly asks me a question. Rick and Glenn are too far at the other end of the table to talk to me. My eyes wonder around the room and when I look at the baby-I guess I should say toddler since he can probably walk-I realize that he’s staring at me intensely. Even though he’s only a baby-toddler-it makes me uncomfortable. He needs to stop.

“Well, it looks like Sam is quite interested in you,” Natalie says from beside me. Of course she makes a comment. Natalie is nice, but I think she likes the sound of her own voice too much.

“Yeah, I’ve been noticing that too,” I say.

I hate it and the kid needs to stop.

I don’t want Natalie to say anything else because I don’t want Crossbow to hear. I don’t want him to have to look over here. I still hate the fact that every time he looks at me he’ll be reminded of his dead wife. I can’t imagine living with someone who looks like Jayson. I think killing myself would be a better alternative. What if this guy kills himself? What if he kills himself because of me?  He has a son so he wouldn’t do that. As I’m about to exhale in relief, Crossbow suddenly stands from his seat, throwing his silverware against his plate, the sound making me jump.