~Chapter Twenty-Seven~

Chapter Twenty-Seven; The Village

~

I stood in front of the court, five men of various ages sat and one long table opposite me. In the middle sat a large grand chair, that rose higher than the four surrounding chairs. In the middle, sat the King. Posed and regal, with a wicked smile. 

"Welcome, contestant. You have been summoned before the Royal Court for the final trial of this tournament. Your rival contestant has already completed her final challenge before you. Failure to complete the trail will result in immediate disqualification. 

"Once this trial is complete you will arrive back to present again before the Royal Court- and the Nords of each Village- where your results will be announced. 

"Once the rightful Queen has been announced, you will begin the five lessons of a Queen, and you will be coronated. Any questions?" The old man sitting next to the King spoke, his long grey beard touching the table. 

"Yes--" 

"Good. Proceed to the final trial room." 

With that, an armed guard stepped forward, wrapping his plated hand around my arm before tugging me forward. 

I was lead into a dark corridor, that led down to a small, darkened room. As I stepped in, I quickly gave a glance around before the large wooden door shut with a loud 'thud!'

 I was alone now, my eyes just barely adjusting to the darkness, as I took in my surroundings. 

The room was nearly empty, the only objects in the room sat ahead of me, where a large wooden table rested on the dusty floor. On top of the table perched a glowing candle, the flame barely giving me enough light to see what sat directly next to the candle. 

 A letter sat, folded twice. On the top of the letter scrawled in cursive words- 'Read aloud.' 

Taking a deep breath, I opened the letter.

"Dear, Participant. Welcome to Trial Elle-Moral. The trial of morality. You must take in the ethical and moral conundrums of this trial to complete it. 

"Failure to choose will result in elimination. The answer you choose will deem your path to greatness or to your destruction. 

"Choose wisely." 

I let out a slow breath, my mind struggling to wrap around what the letter had revealed to me when it happened. A hidden doorway slid open, revealing another long pathway that gradually turned from stone to dirt, torches lining the pathway. 

~

Alannah ran a hand through her curly red hair,  brushing it from her face before dusting the invisible dust off of her skirt. It was time, she wanted this over with as quickly as possible. 

With that, she folded the letter, sliding it into a hidden pocket in her skirt, before making her way down the corridor. 

She didn't know what she was expecting, but as she made her way down the pathway, the torches grew weaker and weaker as natural light gazed down the pathway. She was outside. 

She couldn't believe how beautiful it had looked. It had been weeks since she had been allowed to leave the castle, and the last time she was outside, nature's beauty was the last thing on her mind. 

However, she knew she didn't have the time, as time was dwindling. She had to complete this trial and finally eliminate the King and his rule of his people.