~Chapter Nineteen~

Chapter Nineteen; Trustworthy vs Untrustworthy. 

-

The ache in my feet was prevalent. But, I knew I had to wait my time, just hold out for a little while longer.

I stood on a support beam in the roof, a large hole carved out with a jagged hair clip. It had taken me hours, but it was a worthy cause. I had to seem like a flight risk. It sounded ridiculous, purposely cause doubt and suspicion in my captors, become untrustworthy enough to have double the guards posted at each entrance. But, alas, just like chess, you must think several moves ahead. Becoming untrustworthy was the first step. Because at this very moment, I am neither trusted nor untrusted. I had to do something drastic to change it, otherwise, I would never be able to escape. Once I was untrusted, I would 'realise' how good I had it, and my behaviour would change and I'd earn their trust. Ridiculous plan, but so far, it was all I could come up with. Even if it was step one, I held hope that it was the right step, otherwise, this entire plan could backfire in my face.

I was snapped out of my thoughts as I heard the dull 'creak' of the floorboards outside of my room, followed by the familiar clatter of keys as one of the guards opened my door. I couldn't make a sound or my plan will be foiled too quickly.

It was a second or two before a large thump resounded. 

"Open this door!" A thick ancient broke the silence. A plan inside a plan. I had strategically placed my wooden nightstand at the door, purposely dragging it across the wooden floorboards to create track marks. I had to appear I was weak, and this nightstand was all I could move. 

I remained silent, praying the panels that held me would not creak too soon. 

"Three seconds!" His voice cut through the silence again, but I remained where I perched. 

"Two-" I could hear creaks outside the door.

"One." With that, a loud 'Bang!' echoed throughout the room, it wasn't only seconds before another 'Bang!' echoed throughout, quickly followed by a high pitch screeching noises as the nightstand went skidding backwards, the door laying plush against the wall. 

I couldn't see anything, but I could hear multiple footsteps walk throughout my room. As my room wasn't overly large or intricate, it was only moments before they realised I was nowhere to be seen. 

"Clear the room!" It seemed as though he had no quiet volume, his thunderous voice irritating me. 

Seconds after his command, multiple footsteps spread out, before large smashing and thumps could be heard. 

My heart was racing now, they were destroying my room. I could hear draws being pulled out, clothes being thrown around and my bed being turned over as if it weighed of nothing. 

My time was coming, but I had to be patient.