~Chapter Twenty-Two~

Chapter Twenty-Two; Memories

I had learned so little when I was young, but memories came and faded as I grew. 

Snippets came and vanished, but I've learnt to control them. Hold on to the memory, to the knowledge. At first, it was just glimpses into the past, but now I can truly see the truth.

Realm Drifters are unique. Only two family lines have ever been the holder of this power- this curse. The Hartgroves and Rightmires. 

This gift was no accident, the Gods chose the strongest to carry this ultimate burden. To see the truth. 

They choose none but two children from the coven of Orphans, stripping them of their legacy, grafting a new one. Efyne and Edium. Two single children lost in the world. Destined for a devastating future; now they had a legacy. A truth to seek, a power to hold- a legacy to withstand. Their gift was one of devastating power, able to drift through each realm without consequence. To discover the ultimate truth about their primal nature. The truth about the universe. 

Tasked with a brutal mission, gifted with unbelievable powers- immortality, wisdom and the power to drift through realms.   

 Once the power unleashed, it wreaked havoc onto their lives. Thrown through realm after realm until they undiscovered how to control it. To mould it to their liking. 

To use it to discover the truth, or so the God's had thought, until the fateful day they taught themselves how to suppress their powers, angering the God's. 

In a fury at these humans for rejecting the gift they were given, each God cursed the pair. They cursed them to be mortal again, for as soon as death knocked on their door, their spirit will be whisked away to the next realm, never to experience ultimate peace with their loved ones. 

They cursed them to lack the wisdom of their power, to have years of misery, unable to control it until the God's decided they were ready. And only then, may they gain even just a fraction of insight into what they are capable of. 

Worst of all, the God's decided to curse them for wanting to conceal the power they had been gifted, so they gave them exactly what they wished for. He cursed them to spend every day of their lives forced to hide their powers in hope that 'The Eyes' don't catch them. For they reside in every realm, waiting to steal the power and the soul of the gifted. 

Now, this was all I knew, only breaths of wisdom drifted through my consciousness, sparking a hidden memory of my childhood. However, what truth I had to discover, who the Eyes are, and what happens when the gifted find the truth, is beyond my knowledge. For every day I live, I waited for a spark to ignite, praying to the God's to give me the knowledge I need... to give me the knowledge on where to find my mother. But I am yet to breathe the truth. 

Until today. Until I uncovered a truth, hidden for generations after generations.