Healing Time - Chapter 29

Everyone around you gasped. While Erik's kiss had been more of a peck, everyone seemed to freak out— and you began to cry. The volume around you seemed to multiply by tenfold.

"Out of the way— excuse me, thank you— medic coming through."

You felt yourself being lifted up again, and you were face-to-face with a stranger. He was much older, his face beginning to wrinkle and his hair graying, and you could just tell from how he looked that he wasn't lacking any experience.

"My God..." he muttered. Again, your eyes fluttered shut— but this time, you just couldn't get the strength open them...

***

You began to stir. There was an odd sound, but you couldn't quite place a finger on it— and you heard voices you couldn't recognize.

For a while, all you could note was how much pain you were in...

When you woke up (well... officially, that is, as you would sometimes wake up in a daze before falling back asleep), you noticed that you were in Erik's lair.

You half expected to see Erik's face, but unfortunately, there wasn't anyone there but a complete stranger.

You began to panic.

He was a young man— clearly in his twenties— and with his peppery hair and gray eyes, he seemed quite... unusual. At least— for the people who were usually in the opera house.

"Are you awake for real this time?" he asked, squinting down at you while trying to examine your face.

"Of course I bloody am," you muttered tiredly, rubbing your eyes. The man seemed temporarily shocked, but after a moment, he just smiled.

"Told them I could do it," he said, chuckling to himself and shaking his head. He picked up his bag before standing up, cupping his hand around his mouth before drawing in a deep breath.

"MADAME! SHE'S AWAKE!!" he yelled, so loudly that you wondered how he didn't lose his voice right then and there. He smiled down at you before glancing behind him. "MADAME!!!"

"I'm coming, Donadieu!" you heard the voice of Madame Giry call out. You internally sighed with relief. "Good heavens... keep it down."

Madame Giry emerged from behind the curtains, dressed in a nightgown with her hair down, and she let out a long sigh as she sat down next to you. That maternal instinct of hers seemed to return, as she stroked your hair for a few moments with her eyebrows furrowed.

"How are you feeling, [Y/N]?" she asked. "Please don't mind Donadieu. While his expertise is certainly what saved you—"

"Yeah it is," the man— Donadieu— said, looking down at you and grinning like an idiot. "The original medic said you'd die, but I just used some of my own inventions to patch you up and reinflate your lung."

He went from cocky to so indifferent that it seemed sarcastic.

"No biggie."

With a shrug, he went over to Erik's table and set his bag down, taking things out and putting a few things back in.

"As I was saying, he's a little peculiar," Madame Giry said, leaning down and smiling a little. "But... I do want you to know that he's really taken care of you."

"Okay?" you blinked, unsure of what to do with that information. "But where's Erik?"

Madame Giry paused for a moment, then frowned and let out a bit of a sigh.