A Late Night - Chapter 18

You and Erik hardly spoke a word to each other as you plunged back into the catacombs. It wasn't at all that you were angry with one another, but it was more because this was the first time you both knew that things really weren't going to be alright.

The moment you were back in the bed was supposed to be like any other. You slipped out of your robe before moving to rest beneath the covers, and of course, Erik was right there to tuck you in like he had done dozens of times before. He crawled into the bed with you immediately afterward. Of course, he resumed where he had left off before leaving the note - and that was holding onto you tightly.

Neither one of you could fall asleep.

Well... It wasn't that much of a surprise for Erik. But even though you tried to keep your eyes shut, it was nearly impossible for you to do so - despite how heavy they felt, you were so plagued by thought that you needed something else to preoccupy your mind...

So you did what you'd always do during moments like these.

Speak up.

"Erik," you whispered, glancing back just a little to try and get a glimpse of his face. While you didn't get to see the entirety of it, you did get to see that he was quick to shut his eyes the moment that you glanced back at him, and it made you give a smile so soft that you barely even realized that it was there.

You rolled over on your side to face him, placing a careful and quite gentle hand on the side of his face. Perhaps that would jostle him 'awake.'

"Erik," you murmured again, smiling just the slightest bit more. You weren't surprised when he didn't give a response. Carefully, you pressed a sweet kiss against his lips, leaving it there for a few moments to see if he would finally kiss back...

It would have been far too cliché if he had. Instead, he stood his ground and kept up the act. You began to wonder if he had actually managed to fall asleep, and perhaps you just happened to hallucinate that he had opened his eyes or... something.

You were about to give up until felt a sudden grip around your waist. You were more startled than anything else, and you let out a small scream when Erik gave you a quick shake.

His eyes opened right after that... And sure enough, he was smiling.

You thought for a quick second that the two of you would share a painfully romantic moment - one that the ballerinas would fawn and faint over if any guy had done it to them. You thought it would be something along the lines of him kissing you right back, but no.

Not Erik.

He decided to give you a jolt and scare you awake (if your pounding thoughts hadn't done that already).

"Erik! You nearly killed me!" you said seriously, though with a small smile. You gave him a playful swat on the shoulder, and in turn, he gave you an even more cheesy smile. It was almost if neither of you remembered what you had been so worked up about just a few moments before.

"What did you need me for?" he asked. He pulled you closer to him, as if he were trying to hug you while still staying in bed, and he pressed a purposefully sloppy kiss against the side of your face.

You were genuinely happy. Even if you were practically crushed up against his embrace and more awake than you ever have been, it was moments like these that you were truly grateful for this... unique man.