Show Time - Chapter 27

You awoke to pounding on your door. Both you and Erik were still in bed together, too groggy to actually get up and answer the door, but whoever was on the opposite side still persisted.

"Mademoiselle [Y/N]! Get up! This is important!" the person called out. You blinked a little, tiredly staring at the line of daylight from under your door, and you drew in a deep breath as you sat up.

You felt Erik gently grip onto your waist again. You let out a soft sigh and rested your head again, but hesitantly, you spoke up.

"One moment," you said hoarsely, rubbing your eyes as you felt around for your robe (or something to wear). Erik's hand fell from your waist again.

"Alright," the person said. Once you finally clutched onto your robe, you were quick to pull it on, and you felt Erik give your cheek a quick peck before he let go.

"Are you alright?"

"Yes, I'm just— I'm putting on a bra!"

Your standard response.

When you realized what you had said, you swore at yourself quietly, and right through the wall, you could hear a soft, stifled chuckle— and you rolled your eyes.

Oh, come on, Erik.

At least you knew he was hidden now.

You quickly brushed your hair with your fingers, getting out a few knots before opening up the door. The amount of daylight from the hall was nearly excruciating to see all at once, blinding you temporarily, but you managed to blink it away.

You were face-to-face with Detective Francois, who wore an entertained smile as he looked down at you.

You held your breath.

"My apologies," you squeaked. "Erhm... how can I help you?"

"Detective Peter and I just wanted to make sure you were informed of what will be happening tonight," he said. Peter was standing just a little ways behind him.

"When we didn't see you at rehearsals, Madame Giry said that you weren't feeling well," Peter said. "We'll keep this short for you... do you mind if we come in?"

"No— of course not," you said. You resisted the urge to grimace. "Come in... It's dark in here, but it might be easier if we just leave the door open."

"Yes, yes," Francois said. "Come on, Peter—"

The both of them shuffled into your room, keeping the door open so that daylight could flood through, and they both just stood an awkward distance away. You went to lay back down on your bed, tugging your covers over you.

"We came to inform you that we are performing an arrest tonight," Peter said, writing something down before looking back up to you. His notepad was quick to be put away again. "I don't believe that this will affect you in any way, since you're... well, sick and probably not going to attend tonight's show, but just know that if you hear gunshots, it's standard procedure."

You flinched at the word "gunshots." What the hell was that supposed to mean? Of course, you knew what they were— but you had no clue as to why they would sound unless they planned on shooting Erik.

"Good heavens... why?" you asked, trying to sound curious as opposed to concerned. You went to "justify" yourself just in case. "Not that I don't trust you, but... what on Earth would you need to shoot him for?"

Francois flashed you a smile, but Peter cocked an eyebrow. His hand hovered over his pocket again.

"In case he tries anything," Detective Francois said warmly. It was clear that he didn't suspect anything unusual— but that was primarily because he had been asked the same question over and over again. "It is just for our own safety and the safety of others."