A Temporary Replacement - Chapter 11

You received so many questions about your ring over the next few weeks - many of which revolved around the new ring that you wore on your finger.

"So you're married now, [Y/N]?" one of the petite ballerinas - whom you had learned was called Annie - asked curiously. She held your hand in hers as she moved it close to her face, that way she could get a proper look at what kind of ring you had gotten. "To the new manager?"

You chuckled and shook your head.

"Oh, no," you said with a small chuckle. Her eyes went wide and her jaw dropped, and for a moment, you thought that she would faint.

"No! Really?" she gasped. "I thought you two were a couple!"

You shushed her quietly, and once you saw that no one else was listening, you leaned in and chuckled softly.

"Let me tell you a secret," you smiled. "I have someone else who loves me very much... And even if everyone else thinks that Matthew and I are engaged, you'll be the only person to know otherwise."

Annie's lips changed from a smile into a complete and total grin.

"Really?" she gasped.

"Absolutely," you smiled. "But you can't tell anyone... It's supposed to be a secret."

She nodded vigorously.

"I promise!" she whispered... If it could be called that. It was quite loud and excited, but due to the fact that the rest of the cast members were immersed in their own conversations, they didn't seem to be interested.

Almost immediately, to avoid any more marital assumptions and more explaining than necessary, you moved the ring to your right hand.

"Ah, [Y/N]," another voice chimed in. You turned around to see Detective Francois and Detective Peter. You assumed that it was Monsieur Francois who spoke, as he was the one who wore his usual smile and had no American accent.

"Monsieurs," you smiled, exchanging your gaze between the two. "Is there anything I can help you with?"

"Yes, actually," Francois modded. "I have another call as of tonight - just to investigate a few fights at the local pub - so if you wouldn't mind helping Peter make his way around to any possible places that an entrance to the catacombs might be... that would be wonderful."

You nearly choked. Aside from Madame Giry, you were the only one to know the opera house like it was the back of your hand - and yet, you didn't want to lead a practical stranger to kill the man that you loved. You gulped, but as not to raise any suspicion, you nodded softly.

"Sure," you said, half-smiling. "Whenever you need my help, I'll be sure to deliver."

Francois smiled a little before turning around, patting Peter's shoulder before murmuring something under his breath. With that, he flashed you a smile before going on his way.

The moment that you and Peter were next to each other, it seemed like the entirety of the female cast population had gone to fawn over him. He was (understandably) quite uncomfortable.

"Monsieur!" one of the women cried. "Let me take you to my bedroom - I'm sure that you'll find... Well, something that you like."

Originally, you thought she might have spotted a secret entrance in her room, but you soon realized that it was just an innuendo for the poor man to sleep with her. He caught onto that far more quickly than you had, and of course, you could tell that he was desperate to get out of the situation.