A Proposal - Chapter 10

Over the next few days, you got news that the opera has, indeed, been changed to something entirely different... And auditions were coming up within the next week.

Because Erik was the one who had created the new opera, you got a little 'sneak peek' as to what it was about. It revolved around two lovers - surprise, surprise - and upon meeting in dire circumstances, they had to see one another in private.

It was quite an interesting plot. The girl, a member of quite a wealthy family, was soon to be wed in an arranged (and quite unhappy) marriage. The primary reason for her misery was because she had fallen in love with someone else; a young man (and, unknowingly to her, an escaped prison convict) who worked their farm. Upon suspicions arising from the authorities, the two lovers decide to run away together and face a series of challenges along the way.

Erik did have one hell of an imagination.

At the moment, while the two detectives had thankfully gone for a night out in Paris, you and Erik were down in the catacombs, discussing the role that you were about to take on.

"So... Margot is supposed to be - erhm - me, correct?" you asked, glancing at the music scattered upon Erik's desk.

"Yes," he muttered. "The songs that I wrote for so-called 'Margot' is right in your vocal range, so I'm almost certain that you will be be able to perform these without a struggle."

"I see," you muttered. You pointed to another character on the paper and let out a soft and curious sigh. "And this - Jonathan, his name is - is supposed to be...?"

While you seemed to be quite light-hearted about the situation, you noticed Erik reply with a slight grimace.

"Whatever little fop they decide to cast in the role," he muttered. You tilted your head, confused as to why he suddenly seemed so dire about this role, and he immediately turned to face you... He stood up and tightly held your hands in his. The two of you stared at each other for a moment until his hands - which were still intertwined with yours - slid around your waist and pulled you close, which immediately made you press up against him. He leaned in for a moment, his lips inches away from your ear, and you found yourself growing quite curious about his take of the whole situation.

"[Y/N]... I wrote this entire performance because of you," he murmured. You noted that his hands - even if they were on top of yours - had tightened in your embrace, and you couldn't help but shiver in the slightest.

That seemed like that was exactly what Erik was looking for.

"Now... Despite the fact that I am unable to perform, I will not at all make this role easy for the person who does... After all - I am supposed to be the one in love with you, not some imbecile who will only pretend to be."

Ah...

So he was jealous.

"I see," you muttered, staring up at him for a moment. "And I'm to be in love with you, and not with the actor who portrays your character..."

"Exactly," he muttered, one of his hands making its way up to your face. His thumb grazed your jaw as he stared down at you, almost as if he wanted another reply.

Your lips tugged into a slight smile.

"Of course I love you," you muttered. "I loved you the very moment I met you... Even if it was under some rather unusual circumstances."

The first time you met, you had just moved to France... And you were aimlessly crawling around the opera house until, somehow, Erik had found you.

The both of you smiled at the mention of an event that seemed to be so long ago.

"Let me tell you something," he murmured, his lips moving that much closer to yours. He was the only person who knew how to make you melt completely.

"I loved you then, too."

You were left in a confused daze before he pulled you into a gentle kiss... While it was indescribably passionate, and followed by quite a few others of the such, curiosity ate away at you as you wondered why he hadn't told you sooner. He was quick to take note.

He rested his forehead against yours and, for the first time, you saw him suddenly filled with genuine happiness.

"I loved you the very moment I laid eyes on you," he muttered. "When you had wandered into my arms that night, crawling around with that ridiculous and sopping wet dress of yours... By God, you were so awkward."

The two of you shared a small laugh, but one burning question still remained: What about Christine?

"Erik," you smiled, though you still felt a twinge of sadness eat away at you. "From the way you looked at, touched, and even spoke about Christine, I could tell that you were in love with her."

"I was," he said quickly... He didn't seem to want to dwell upon the subject for much longer, but as he saw your curiosity, he continued on anyway. "I... Well, I truly was... She was so kind to everyone that I assumed she would be the only person who would ever willing to stay with me down here, and by God, I had been so caught up on pursuing her that it was hard for me to throw it all away - even if you were right there in front of me."

He seemed to hold onto you even tighter, almost as if you being closer would help him recall the story.

"When you arrived, it seemed to be far too late... I had already had an entire plan, and you were there to see it unfold - hell, you even helped me with it... But that night - when I panicked, and took off my mask to keep you there with me - I knew for certain that I loved you too... And that final night I spent with Christine, when that little idiot had found his way to me just for her sake, I suddenly knew that I couldn't rob her of her love... And that I couldn't rob myself of mine."

You were speechless.

So he had gotten hurt by loving you, too? He had only pursued his previous love simply because he couldn't give it up?

As you got caught up in thought, you barely noticed something slip onto your finger...

But you did notice that Erik had fallen onto one knee.

"[Y/N], please don't let me be alone anymore..." the man muttered. His eyes locked with yours before he gingerly placed a kiss on your hand, which now served as a home for the ring that you knew had been Erik's.

"So I might as well be proper about this..."

You thought you were going to erupt.

"[Y/N]... Will you marry me?"

A/N: Sorry it took so long! I've been booked the last few days, and I haven't been able to get to writing... I hope this suffices! Also, please excuse any mistakes you might see - I snuck this in all last night. I should be updating regularly soon, though! Vote, comment, and all of that good stuff... And I'll see you soon 💖