Relationship Advice - Chapter 6

At first, you were surprised that Madame Giry was here... How'd she get in?

You stared at the woman, trying to understand her expression, although she just seemed to be more unamused than anything.

"I-I..." you stammered. You were still trying to understand why Madame Giry  was here, but as she made her way over to you, it finally struck. She was the one to help the Vicomte get to Erik first place (that is, up until you helped him).

The woman let out a soft sigh as she made her way over to you, resting her hand on your shoulder as she exchanged her glance between you and Erik.

"I came only to inform you that Detective Francois and his partner are going to try and examine the catacombs as of tomorrow morning," she murmured, patting your shoulder lightly before her hand dropped back yo her side. She sauntered over to Erik. "I wouldn't fret too much, though - keep all of the entries locked and you should be alright."

You gave a slight nod... You felt a little awkward, especially after the fact that Madame Giry had probably walked in on you and Erik kissing quite passionately, although she seemed to have dropped the subject entirely.

"Thank you, Madame," Erik said softly, pursing his lips as he glanced at the ground. He made his way over to you and Madame Giry, and for the first time, he wore a soft blush on his face... It was hardly noticeable at all, but he still seemed to be a little embarrassed. His eyes flicked up to Madame Giry, and he didn't dare glance at you. That would probably make things even worse. "Madame... What did you... Er - how much did you see?"

Madame Giry seemed unfazed by the question.

"Enough," she said with a slight shrug. She was quick to notice Erik become a little embarrassed, and she let out a sigh as she shook her head.

"It is not my business, Monsieur - you two can do whatever you wish, for all I care - just please do not do anything... idiotic that could jeopardize [Y/N]'s future - she is our new Prima Donna, after all."

The both of you understood what she meant by a "jeopardized future."

"Of course," Erik murmured, his jaw clenching as his eyes flicked over to you. However, his glance was only brief before he returned his gaze to Madame Giry. "I wouldn't dare."

You nodded softly in agreement.

"Good..." Madame Giry muttered. Before you realized it, she had wrapped you into a gentle hug, almost like that of maternal instinct... Well, she was Meg's mother after all.

"Please be careful..." she muttered. She glanced to Erik, doing him a quick look-over before she let out a soft sigh.

"You too, Erik," she murmured.

She took one final glance at you before she turned around and left, leaving you and Erik all alone again.

"That was... A little surprising," you said with a soft chuckle. Erik seemed quite hesitant to make another move on you, especially with the thought that Madame Giry might still be there, although he carefully nodded.

"Quite," he murmured. He was clearly will a little embarrassed - to him, Madame Giry walking in on the two of you (even after he had stopped himself from going too far) was the equivalent of a father or mother coming home to see the same. "It was... Erhm, quite embarrassing."

You smiled softly.

After talking a little more about how awkward the two of you had felt, you found yourself wishing him goodnight, and navigated straight to your bed again.

You fell asleep almost immediately.

The next morning was a breeze... You woke up early and got ready for work, and after running your shift for a few hours, you (and Matthew and Chosen, as they made it a habit to walk back with you) were back in the opera house.

Everyone - including  your employee friends - seemed to be obsessed with the new detectives... Especially the female population.

André and Firmin had called for a meeting of everyone who lived in the opera house... That meant old cast members, crew members, stage hands, costume ladies, etc.

You didn't think anyone besides you and perhaps Meg would show up, but to your surprise, it seemed like it was just about everyone.

It was the first time everyone (at least, those who remained the opera house) had been together at once, and you couldn't help but noticed that many of the chorus girls were eyeing both of the men. Goodness, they seemed desperate.

"Ladies and gentlemen... As you may already know, we have two detectives investigating all of the occurrences here at the Opera Populaire, and as we begin to finish up our preparations for a new performance season, we would like to introduce you to these fine young gentlemen." Firmin, whose mustache had grown out quite a little, said as an introduction. "Monsieur Francois - who has requested to have his last name kept under strict confinement - and Monsieur Peter, who would... also like to have his last name kept private."

Everyone bursted into applause as a welcome to the two.

"Monsieurs? Anything you'd like to say?" he asked.

To your surprise, Peter was the one to speak up.

"Yes, actually," he said, his eyes scanning the crowd. His American accent was quite audible, and the girls around you seemed to swoon because of it. "As mentioned before, I'm Peter, and I'm here with Francois to investigate what's going on in this opera house. I just wanted to let you all know that you shouldn't be alarmed if you see us around. As much as we would hate to disrupt your everyday lives, we must make our rounds and question all of you, and tonight we must search for any entrances that this so-called 'ghost' has used to enter and exit the opera house as he pleases... So please, don't be alarmed if we're in your rooms - we aren't looking for anything besides what could be deemed suspicious."

A few of the female dancers looked disappointed.

Peter soon finished off his little spiel, and asked for everyone to return all attention to André and Firmin.

"Wonderful, wonderful..." André muttered. It was only now that you realized how nervous he looked. He took out a handkerchief and wiped off his brow, gulping a little before he let out a slight and awkward chuckle.

Matthew looked concerned. You heard him mutter something under his breath, and you gently placed a hand on his shoulder. He still seemed quite tense - especially when his father continued speaking.

"As you may also know... I am - erhm - I am retiring as of next week," he said. He let out a long sigh before he pointed to Matthew.

"And I would like you all to know that my son is to take my place."

A/N: Ohhh, snap! What a plot twist!!! Sorta. Thanks to everyone who has voted and commented on my book(s), and can I please just thank CallieAnnie for her freaking amazing comments? They're the FREAKING 👏 BEST! They make me so happy I literally can't even!!! Anyway, vote, keep commenting, and I'll see you soon 💖