13.

Thursday
October 14th, 2013
7:13 AM

Elijah D.

"Someone is in a good mood," I looked over the breakfast spread Onika had laid on the dining table

"Someone is in a good mood," I looked over the breakfast spread Onika had laid on the dining table. She went into the refrigerator and pulled out a jug of orange juice, "Xavier got a promotion at work last night," she smiled. "Word? That's whats's up." She nodded her head, "you know he works third shift, so I wanted him to have something real nice to come home to." She sat the orange juice in the middle of the table and walked to the cabinet. She pulled down a few glasses walked back towards  the table. "Just a little something to show him how much I appreciate him. You know he feels self conscious."

I furrowed my eyebrows trying to figure out what that has to do with me, "about?"

"The lifestyle you provided me and Nina with. More so me of course. It's like he feels inadequate if he can't buy me a five thousand dollar purse, or twenty thousand dollar earrings. He assumes I need those materialistic things to be happy, not knowing a lot of the purses and jewelry that I have were gifts after you had been out cheating. He doesn't even like living in this condo because you paid for it and he feels he should be the one putting his woman inside of a home."

"I understand where he's coming from, I would feel some type of way too. My only concern is will he be able to put you and Nina in a secure building? That was my whole purpose of buying this condo for you."

I'm all about a man being the head of his household, but the situation is complicated because my daughter is involved. I can't compromise my peace of mind knowing that where the two of them lay their head is safe and that no one would be able to get to them without going through extreme measures. Xavier doesn't know about my drug business so he's just looking at it as a crib that I paid for when it's so much more.

"Well that's actually what I wanted to talk to you about. His job promotion is in New Orleans," she bit her lip. I furrowed my eyebrows, "what you really talking about, Onika?"

She sighed, "we're moving to New Orleans after the wedding."  I shook my head while scrunching up my face, "you want me to turn into a holiday dad knowing I see my baby Tuesday's, Thursday's, and keep her most weekends? I'm not going for that shit."

"He's about to be my husband, E. What? You want me to live in New York while he lives in Louisiana? I'm pregnant with his child, Elijah."

"And you have mine. So what," I shrugged shoulders, "I'm just supposed to see my kid significantly less than how I'm used to seeing her for you to be with a man?"

"Don't downplay me as a mother like I'm running behind a man. He's my fiancé, soon to be husband in two months. What the hell am I marrying him for if I can't be home when he gets there or vice versa? I don't want you to be a holiday dad, I didn't even want you to be an out of the household dad. You're the one who made that decision when you couldn't keep it in your pants."