Chapter 2

A/n: Here is chapter 2. This is mostly just a filler building up until the next chapter. Hope you enjoy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My father woke me the next morning with a soft knock on my door. "Aubrey," he said as he opened the door, "you can't lock yourself in here forever. You are the alpha now."

I sat up.

The wolf inside me cried in pain.

"You're right. I think I'll go for a run. My wolf is begging to come out."

My father kissed my forehead and left the room.

I changed into a pair of jeans and a t-shirt.

I left the house and jogged a little ways into the forest.

I stopped by a familiar tree and stripped down. I didn't have to do that, but my clothes would be shredded. I didn't want that to happen.

I shifted into my wolf and ran along the river that marked the border of our territory. We share the river with neighboring packs. We had it checked every year to ensure safety because we knew how many members of our pack and other packs drank from it when they ran.

I ran until my body ached all over.

I stopped running and approached the water. I lowered my head and began drinking the water.

Suddenly, I felt somebody nudge my hind leg.

I turned around and growled at the intruder.

As soon as I recognized her scent, I stopped growling.

It was sam. Her pitch-black fur moved as she raised her head.

Sam and I were opposites. My wolf had white fur and blue eyes; hers had black fur and brown eyes. We were like Ying and Yang. We were destined from the start.

I nudged her neck with my head as if to say, "What do you want?"

She nodded in the direction of the forest and backed up as if to say, "follow me."

I followed her back into the forest to where our clothes where.

I grabbed my clothes in my mouth and went out of sight.

I phased back into my human form and put my clothes back on.

As I stepped out from behind the tree, I asked rudely, "What do you want?"

"Look, there's no need to be rude."

"I'm being rude because you interrupted my run."

"I'm sorry. I really wanted to talk to you. There's nothing we can do about this. We need to get along for the sake of the pack."

"You're right, but you're the one who was the bully for all those years. I never did anything to you."

"You're right, Aubrey, I was wrong to treat you so harshly for so long."

I sighed. "We need to do several things now. We need to make an announcement to the pack. When we decide to do that, we also have to do the mating ceremony. Lastly, we need to move you into the alpha house. Now, obviously, we don't need to jump into anything. I'm going to prepare myself and the house for you. How about we plan all of this for a week from today? Is that okay with you?"

"I'm good with that. It gives me time to pack and prepare myself as well."

I nodded wordlessly. I really had nothing else to say to her.

"I'll see you around," she said.

"Yea, see you," I replied.

I turned around and jogged in the direction of the house.

When I got inside, I looked for my father.

I found him sitting in the kitchen.

"I ran into Sam while I was out. We've planned the mating ceremony for next Monday. We decided that we didn't want to jump right into it. We'll make the announcement after dinner and do the ceremony that evening. I'm going to need you to leave the house. You know how these things go."

"Of course, Aubrey."

"What am I supposed to do? I have no idea how to prepare for this. I'm not even sure where to begin. This isn't something they teach in school."

"Relax, Aubrey. You'll know when the time comes."

"It's not the same from when you were a teenager, daddy. Also, your mate was the opposite sex. It's easy to figure out how that works," I stated matter-of-factly.

"I know, pup, but I'm telling you, you'll know. Just like any other sexual relationship, you have to take it slow. You have to get to know each other's bodies to learn how to please them. There's a learning period."

In my pack, sex wasn't taboo. It was completely normal to discuss sex with our parents.

"Thanks, daddy. You always know what to say."

"What's for dinner?"

"Is that my job?"

He laughed. "I'll order pizza."

"That's what I thought. Remember, I'm the boss of you now."

He laughed again. "You're the boss of the pack. You'll never be the boss of me."

I laughed and stuck my tongue out at him.

Thirty minutes later, my father and I were watching an awful movie about a vampire who falls in love with some human girl. The one thing that stuck out was that the vampires sparkled in the sunlight.

It turned out to be a marathon, so we watched all five.

In the last four, there were wolves. It was so unrealistic, it almost felt mocking. Why would werewolves be over six feet tall? Also, why is it only a certain race of people who could be werewolves?

My father and I mostly laughed at the movies.

I fell asleep during the last one.

My dreams that night consisted of unrealistic werewolves and sparkly vampires.