Chapter 10

I excitedly opened the message hoping that Sam was telling me that she was okay and where she was. It was a video. I pressed play and watched in horror.

The room was dark except for a single light on Sam. She was tied to a chair and crying. "Leave me alone! Why are you doing this?"

I watched as somebody slapped her across the face. I gasped and covered my mouth.

"Say hi to your little mate." I assume the person who spoke was the cameraman.

"Aubrey," she cried, "help me." Those words nearly broke me.

I flinched as she was slapped again. "Say goodbye, Aubrey."

"No!" Sam screamed just before the video cut off.

I wasn't aware that I was crying until I looked away from the screen.

The phone vibrated, and another message came up. "Keep the pack pure."

Anger coursed through my veins. "FUCK!" I screamed as I threw my phone at the wall.

I fell to my knees and held myself as I sobbed. My body shook from fear and anger.

My dad ran into the room. "Aubrey, what happened?" He got down next to me.

"They have her." I gasped between sobs. "They're torturing her, and I think they're going to kill her. I don't know what pack it is!" I screamed the last sentence.

"How do you know they have her?"

"They sent me a video from her phone."

"Where's your phone?"

"I threw it. It might be broken."

My dad got up and looked around for my phone. When he found my phone, he picked it up. "Lucky for you, it's not broken. You have a good case on it." He started watching the video. I saw him tense up and flinch when they slapped her. "I wish I could see them. I know that males from the pack to the west have a specific tribal tattoo, and the pack to the east all have long hair. There's no way it could be the pack to the south. We've had a strong alliance with them for several decades."

He's right, without any identifying factors, we'd never be able to tell who had her. "We need to find out who has her. I have a feeling they might kill her."

I took my phone from my father and texted the number back. "Please don't hurt her. Just tell me where you are. You don't have to do this."

They sent back a video response a few minutes later. "The big bad alpha of the north is asking us not to hurt her precious little mate." Someone punched her in the stomach. I brought my hand to my mouth, gasped, and flinched. "You asked for this the moment you became alpha."

One of them made the mistake of briefly walking into the light. I quickly paused the video and showed it to my father. "That's definitely the pack to the west." He pointed to the tribal wolf tattoo on the man's forearm.

I stood up and walked quickly to the door.

"Where are you going?"

"I'm going to save my mate." By this time, it was about five o'clock.

I played the alarm again. Everybody begrudgingly came out of their houses for the second time.

"The pack to the west has Sam. They have her tied up, and they're torturing her. If we don't do something now, I fear they might kill her. They're going to continue to take and injure members of our pack until I give up being your alpha. I know I said that going to war was the last thing I wanted to do, but at this point, we have no choice."