Chapter 9

A few weeks later, we were able to take the day off.

When I woke up, Sam was gone. I sat up and looked around for her. I looked over and saw there was a note on my nightstand. "Went for an early morning run. Be back by lunch." I was overcome with sadness. I wish she had invited me. It was supposed to be our day off together.

I looked over at the clock; it was 11:30. I managed to sleep pretty late, but that also meant Sam should be home soon.

I quickly got up, got dressed, and went downstairs to make us lunch. I didn't make anything fancy, just grilled cheese and chicken noodle soup.

I sat at the island and waited for her to come home.

At 12:30, I started feeling hurt that she wasn't home yet.

By 1:30, I was angry that she wasn't home. I decided to reheat and eat my lunch, and I threw away her wasted lunch.

At 2:30, I was getting worried. "Dad, have you seen Sam? She left a note that she went for a run this morning, but that she'd be back by lunch. She isn't back yet."

"I haven't seen her."

"We need to go look for her," I said panicked.

"Let's go find her."

We went outside. "You go left; I'll go right. We'll run the whole perimeter of our land and meet back here." He nodded and shifted. I leaped off the porch and shifted before hitting the ground.

I started off at a sprint until I hit the non-residential area. I slowed down to a jog to ensure I would be able to spot her black fur.

I came to a half when I realized there was an unfamiliar scent on our land. Somebody who isn't from our pack was here. The small was fresh. They were here recently. I also picked up Sam's scent. She was here too. I couldn't tell if they were together.

I got angry and began jogging again.

I zigzagged through the trees. It took about thirty minutes to run the whole perimeter.

My father and I met back up outside of the house; we shifted back.

"I picked up an unfamiliar scent by the river. It was fresh, so they were here recently." I couldn't hide my anger.

"I picked it up too, on the other side of the land. It seems as if they tried to cover our whole area."

"I'm going to make a final attempt to contact her. I'm going to call her phone and hope that she has it with her."

I went inside and up the stairs.

I called Sam's phone as I got dressed. As it rang, I heard the familiar ringtone playing from her bedside table. "Dammit!" I yelled. Of course, she wouldn't have it on her. There's nowhere for her to store it while shes a wolf.

I ran downstairs. "We need to go on high alert. A member of our pack is missing, and there was an unfamiliar scent on our land."

My father looked concerned. "Our pack has only gone on high alert one other time. Do you know how serious a high alert is?"

"When there is a member of our pack, especially the alpha's mate, goes missing, an unfamiliar scent on the land, and a threat has already been made, we need to go on high alert. Someone could have taken her. We could all be in danger." He nodded his head knowingly.

I went into the study and grabbed the siren. It was a bullhorn that wailed once switched on. The sound it produced was loud enough to be heard across our land.

People emerged from their homes looking frightened. Most people from the pack had never experienced a high alert. The one other time the pack went on high alert was many decades ago.

Once a crowd had gathered in front of the house, I spoke. "We must go on high alert."

Everybody gasped and murmured as they understood what that meant.

"My mate is missing, and my father and I found an unfamiliar scent around our land. I believe she may have been taken by the same people that threatened us several months ago. Everybody who is sixteen and older is going to need to begin patrolling the area day and night in pairs. Pregnant women and mothers with children under five will not be required to patrol. Same-sex couples with children, you may choose which one of you patrols, or you can take turns. The goal is to prevent anybody else from being kidnapped or injured. We have no definitive proof that Sam was taken, but it's better to be safe than sorry." I saw a few people nod their heads in agreement.

"Chloe and I will take the first patrol tonight. Cam and my father will take over tomorrow morning. I will let you decide amongst yourselves how and when you will patrol. The shifts will be from six to six, and I would like you to meet in front of the alpha house so that we can all touch base and share any information. You will need to eat in shifts because one person must be patrolling the area at all times. That's all I have for now."

I turned to Chloe as the crowd dispersed. "I'll meet you out front at six."

I walked into the house.

My phone vibrated in my pocket. It was a message from an unknown number. It could be Sam.