Chapter 5

The next day, I woke up when my body told me to. I had no idea what time it was, and I didn't care.

I rolled over and watched Sam sleep. I didn't want to be creepy, but she was cute when she slept.

She stirred and opened one eye. "What are you doing?"

"Watching you sleep."

"Why?" She groaned.

"You're cute when you sleep."

"Go away."

"I can't. You're stuck with me."

She nudged me and rolled over. I climbed on top of her.

"What are you doing?"

I shrugged. "I don't know."

"Will you get off of me?"

"No."

"Why?"

"I don't want to."

She rolled onto her back so I was straddling her hips. "You're naked."

"Does that matter?"

"Yes. You're very distracting."

"What exactly am I distracting you from?"

"Living. I just want to have sex with you all day long."

"I'm sorry. I have important alpha things to do."

"No, you don't. You literally don't have anything to do. Everything is calm right now. You came into power at the perfect time."

"I guess you're right."

"That means you have more time for me." Sam flipped us over so that she was on top of me. She lowered herself to me and kissed her bite mark on the right side of my neck. I growled in pleasure. Yes, I growled. The bite mark from your mate causes intense pleasure when kissed, licked, or bitten again.

"That was rude."

"How was that rude?"

"Because I... I... I can't move." I hesitated as I lied very poorly.

"You know you love it," she said seductively in my ear.

Things were beginning to really heat up when there was a loud pounding on the bedroom door. "Aubrey." My father sounded urgent. "You need to come outside right now." My first thought was, "Why can't this man leave us alone?"

Sam rolled off of me and groaned. "So much for no important alpha stuff."

I quickly got up, put on some clothes, and ran downstairs.

A crowd had gathered in front of the house. When I walked outside, I saw what was causing all the commotion. There was a sign tied to the alpha house. The words were written in red. "KEEP THE PACK PURE." It appeared to be written in blood, but one can never be too sure.

Cam whispered in my ear. "What does this mean?"

I addressed the crowd. "There's nothing to worry about. It must be a simple threat from one of our neighboring packs. As many of you know, some packs still struggle with civil rights. While America was making progress, some wolf packs did not. It wasn't until the last couple of decades that some packs have become diverse. All of the packs that surround us still believe in tradition. When my father became alpha, he chose to make our pack diverse. He allowed every race and gender into our pack. Some of the more traditional packs didn't even allow for same-sex mates. Now that our pack has both a female alpha and a same-sex couple in power, some other packs really don't like us. We have a giant target on us, but I will protect this pack.

"Going to war is absolutely the last thing I want to do. I promise there is nothing to worry about. You can all go home knowing that everything will be okay."

I paused as the crowd began to disperse. I needed a better plan than just making promises. "Everybody aged sixteen and older needs to stay. If you are pregnant or a parent with children under five at home, you may go. Same-sex parents, decide which one of you will stay."

Once the rest of the crowd had gone, I addressed who was left. "As I said before, going to war is the last thing I want to do. However, if it comes to that, we're going to need a trained army. We don't want to be caught with our tails between our legs, literally and figuratively. We're going to need to become stronger. We're going to have to have to train to become skilled fighters. We have no choice. We need everybody possible in case anything. We'll begin training first thing tomorrow. You all may go now."

Once the crowd was gone, Cam, Chloe, Sam, my father, and I sat around for the rest of the day discussing our options for protecting the pack. We wouldn't go down without a fight.