Year 4 part 7 (Yule Ball)

(The photo above is Anna's dress.)

It was now December and Newt still had not asked Anna to the dance, well not exactly like he hadn't, more like he didn't know how.

"Come on, Scamander, just ask her." Wesley Parsons all but shouted at him. "She's right there. Just go up and ask her." The dark-haired boy shoved him towards the plush yellow couch of the common room, Anna had had her nose in a book all morning but she was startled out of it when the back of the couch shook.

"Oh, Hello Newt." He looked nervous but she just smiled "Can I help you?" He had never had a problem with talking to her until it came to this particular feat. All he could do was stare, she'd had her hair pulled back in a braided up-do of sorts and her eyes were both glowing in the dim light of the fire lit common room, her skin was glowing.

"Um...I was w-wondering if..."

"Yes?"

"Well, the thing is that..." All eyes were on them, "You can just ask me, Newt. Don't be nervous." She smiled and closed her book, turning to give him her full attention.

"Well...The Yule ball is coming up and I was just wondering if you'd...well, if you'd consider going with—"

"Going with you?" She finished for him, Prying eyes now waited on bated breath for her answer.

"Newt?" He looked up, hope clear in his eyes but fear as well, the fear of rejection.

"You didn't even need to ask." He could almost feel his heart sink, "Isn't it customary for couples to go together to dances?" He looked up startled, he'd almost forgotten about that.

"W-we're a couple?"

"Well, yes...or at least that's the word around school." He felt a wide smile break out over his face, what happened next caught Anna off guard, he kissed her...again. She wondered if this was just how he was. A sudden eruption of cheers brought them back to reality.

"Is that going to happen every time?" Anna asked as she pulled away, Newt only shrugged, still smiling at her.

"I guess I finally have to choose which dress I'm going to wear."

"You already had dresses picked out?"

"Well, yeah. I figured you would ask sooner or later, and I find it's best to be prepared, especially when it comes to you. I never know what you'll do or when, every day is a bit of a surprise." Anna grinned, teasing him. He nudged her shoulder as the crowd of onlookers began to disperse.

"Well, in all honesty, you could show up in your uniform and you'd still be stunning...did I just say that out loud?" he averted his eyes again and Anna just smiled, leaning over the back of the couch to peck his cheek.

"So, Do you want to walk down to dinner?" Newt just gave a simple nod of the head and Anna grabbed his hand, pulling the boy along.

--

The next two weeks passed quickly, and the night of the yule ball was upon them, Newt was incredibly nervous, but whether it was the fact that champions led the first dance or the fact he was so focused on not screwing up, he didn't know, but the other champions dates had arrived and he'd yet to see any sign of Anna.

"Hey, she'll be here." He recognized one of the champions date's as a girl a year above them from Ravenclaw house. He didn't have his fingers crossed, maybe something had gone wrong, maybe she'd been hurt...his mind reeled at the idea, a hand on his shoulder pulled him back, the same girl pointed to the top of the stairs and Newt felt his breath hitch, she was stunning, her hair was it's natural chestnut brown color and her face had been touched up only a little bit giving her a slightly ethereal glow but her dress was what set her apart from the other girls.

"Hello, Newt." Brown and green eyes glittered in the light of the ballroom and he was at an absolute loss for words, she only smiled as he offered his arm, looping her own through it as the doors opened.

"Breath, or you'll pass out." The Hufflepuff lets out a breath he hadn't known he was holding, once at the center of the dance floor the champions took their positions and the waltz began.

"Remember, keep your head up" Anna whispered to him as they moved around the floor, other couples slowly joining in.

"You've gotten better, lessons must have been helping us both."

"I've been practicing in secret." She laughed as he spun her before placing his hand back at her waist and got back into the usual movement.

Both teens were pleased when the champions dance ended, and they were allowed to go find a seat at one of the elegantly decorated tables.

"I'll go get us drinks."

"Oh, Thank you." Newt departed for the refreshments table and the familiar face of Maria Gavell floated into her vision.

"You two looked lovely out there." Anna felt her face dust pink, "Th-Thank you."

"No, really. And your dress is gorgeous, where did you get it?"

"My parents sent it back with my owl, they actually sent a few but I loved this one the most."

"Well, I'd say you made the right choice." Anna and Maria had grown close since dueling club meetings had started, they had an almost sibling relationship. Newt returned with two cups of punch and Anna took hers, careful not to spill as he took the seat next to her.

"I was meaning to ask if you could help me with charms, if Dumbledore recommends you, you must really know what you're doing. And your instructions in club meeting's is spectacular." Anna took a small sip of her beverage before setting it on the table.

"Of course, I'm always ready to help, Maybe we can set up a study group in the courtyard at a time that's convenient for everyone." She turned to Newt. "You'll come too, right?" catching the hopeful glint in her eyes he couldn't bring himself to tell her no. "Of course."

"You two are so cute" the older girl crooned. "Well, I best get back to my date, Maybe we can put up some kind of notification and attract people that way. I'll talk to you after club Tuesday." With that the Older Gryffindor was gone.

"You're certainly popular, lately." Anna looked down at her hands "I guess, it's a bit unusual and I can't stop myself from feeling there is some kind of plot and I'm not catching on. But I also think that the first three years I spent here were just bad luck, and I'm over analyzing things."

"Well considering when I'd met you students from Slytherin house were trying to drown you, I'd say your suspicion is justified. But Maria seems really fond of you." A much faster song now echoed in the space.

"Well, I think I've bonded with a lot of the other kids during club meetings."

"You are quite good with the first and second-year students."

"They just need a gentle and guiding hand." Anna was certainly that, at least in his mind, even if he blundered somewhere she was there to help him, especially when it came to his creatures, the Niffler had a habit of escaping and wreaking havoc in the common room and she was always right behind him with something to attract the critter back into the case.

"Gentle and guiding..." He smiled as he looked down at his cup, Anna just shook her head and went back to watching the other couples as a slow song filled the space once again.

"W-Would you like to dance?" Newt looked over at her, holding out his hand.

"I'd love to dance." She set tugged up the skirt of her dress so as not to step on it as she stood and the two stepped back onto the dancefloor.

"You know...when the next fast song comes on, we should show them how to have some real fun." Newt tilted his head in confusion, but then remembered their first summer together. His mother had played some rather upbeat music and the two of them made a whole odd routine to the music.

"That sounds...amazing."