Chapter 1

You sighed as you leaned on the wall and crossed your arms, looking at the crowded streets you raised the bandana around your neck to your lips while tilting your tattered hat down, you tapped one of your fingers against your arm as your long sash-like scarf kept your whip hidden. Many of the walking folk ignored you as they went about their business, their ignorance you would use to your advantage as you observed the crowd. You waited patiently against the wall lightly taping your foot, your long coat slightly bounced against the ground, once you saw people get into certain positions that would grant you free reign of pickpocketing without getting caught you put your plan into action.

Dusting off your tunic shirt you pushed off against the wall and carefully maneuvered your way and the crowd, hunkering down and making yourself smaller than usual to make yourself appear unassuming as you pickpocket men and women left and right with swift quiet movements. Once you made your way across the street and into an alleyway you began to hear the many oncoming complaints and shouts, all of them left wondering how their valuables up and disappeared. With a chuckle you continue to walk while you removed the money from their pouches and began to count how much you made, a small smile made its way to your lips once you finish counting realizing it was enough to last you a week and a half of food.

"Hey rugrat, where do ya think you're going", a throaty garbled voice crooned as you felt a large boney hand roughly turn you around, there were three men dirty with soot and ash, and they all smelled of alcohol and cigarette smoke. A scowl made its way to your face as you narrowed your eyes at them, a rather large man width wide snickered as he pointed at your face.

"That's not a rat alley, that's a mouse, a little girl", the lanky one in the center scowled and hit the large man.

"I know that ya fat bum!", he growled the last one was a scrawny nearly balding man laughing at the other two. As they argued amongst themselves you took this as a chance to run from them, you heard them yell at you from behind as you ran dodging people in your way, and from your peripheral vision you spotted a boy and his father looking up to see you turn into an alleyway. And for the briefest of moments, your eyes connected with theirs before you immediately went back to looking ahead of you, desperate to not get caught by the thugs that would likely snatch your money if they got their dirty hands on you.

"Get that girl! We're going to show that brat a lesson!", the lanky man shouted George furrowed his brows when he heard what the man shouted as his son, Jonathan, looked up at him in concern.

"Father, Did that man just say that was a girl they were chasing?", he asked with panic and slight worry filling his voice. George gave a curt nod as his eyes stared at the alleyway that you ran off into, the girl dressed in male clothing, George's eyes widened once he realized the alleyway you entered was a dead end.

"Jonathan, stay by the carriage, I'm going to help that girl", George declared, Jonathan's eyes widened as he debated whether to follow his father's orders or disobey them, all while you were busy dealing with the three men. When you reached the dead end you waited patiently for the three men to arrive as one of your hands reached for your dagger, and the other rested on your hip where the whip rested.

Waiting patiently you didn't move until you heard one of them shout, "Got nowhere to run brat! Try escaping this time!".

A small smirk makes its way to your lips as you quietly mutter, "Try me", and with a quick spin around, you flicked your dagger into the large man's eye making him shriek and fall back.

Wielding your whip you dashed towards the lanky and scrawny man, with a harsh flick of your wrist your whip made a harsh crack across the scrawny man's face while you slid between the lanky man's legs while doing so you elbowed the inside of his knee. You rolled to the side as the lanky man fell with a yelp, running over to the large man you yanked your dagger out of his eye making him cry out in pain, tying your dagger onto the whip you dogged the lanky man that was running at you and impaled the dagger into the back of his thigh, immediately he fell with a scream as you yanked your whip to pull back the dagger. Noticing the slight yellow glow surrounding your whip and dagger you quickly pat down the items for a moment before looking up at the entrance of the alleyway only to see the same man that was with his boy you spotted while you were running from the trio of men, you quickly stood defensively as a man raised his hands.