Chapter 12-A Fateful Day

-3 Moons After Chapter 9-

Ravenpaw by a stream on Marshclan land all alone. The sounds of night in the forest could be heard. He heard the bushes move, and turned to face them. Moonlight struck his amber eyes and golden brown fur.

"Hello again Moon." said Ravenpaw said as the black and white she cat walked up to sit in front of him.

"Hello! How is training going for you?" she cheerfully asked.

"It's going great! The season of cold really makes me feel more responsible for my clan. Finding prey is hard, but to keep Marshclan alive is my duty. It's even colder in the Learner"s Den now that I am the only one in there!" Ravenpaw explained.

"What are their warrior names now?" Moon inquired.

"Earlier today," Ravenpaw began, "Oakpaw had her name changed to Oaksight, Flowerpawhad his named changed to Flowerpelt, and my good friend Longpaw became Lomgheart for his loyalty to the clan!"

"Oh, that's great!" Moon encouraged. "Now, let's do our monthly review. What have I taught you in your dreams these past 3 moons?"

Ravenpaw barely had to think. "Well, aside from helping me with some really difficult battle moves, lots of great advice! Things such as a warrior always obeys his leader no matter what, always show mercy, and punish those who do wrong things.You taught me all of the details on how to do that."

"Good, good but now I must turn to a dark subject to teach to you tonight." Moon said in a series tone to Ravenpaw."Based on what I have taught you, why should a car be killed, if ever?"

Ravenpaw stopped be excited and thought. My ancestors are truly training me to be a leader. They are very wise and kind. After some moments, he had an answer. "You should almost always never kill another cat. But if they threaten the lives of your clanmates, or they are evil, sometimes it is nessacary."

"Yes," said Moon, "That is the correct answer. Now, I want you to meet someone." Beckoning him to follow her with her tail, she leapt across the stream.

"Why are we going to the Valleyclan land?" Ravenpaw asked, loudly to overcome the sound of the stream.

"You'll find out soon!" shouted a Moon.

Giving up on asking her anything, Ravenpaw jumped to the Valleyclan land across the rushing water. They went through the forest at a slow pace. In real life this place would stink! The smell is always too fresh for my nose! And the air lacks enough moisture as well!

When Moon stopped and stepped aside, Ravenkit found himself staring at a set of almost purple eyes. This is that kit who was in a coma! Sagekit was her name I think. Surely she awake by now!

"Sagepaw, meet Ravenpaw." Moon said to the ginger and white she-cat. "You have met before, as I have told you. He is the friend that I promised you."

Sagepaw spoke in a friendly voice to Ravenpaw as her purple eyes met his amber ones. "Hello there, Ravenpaw. I see that you are from Marshclan. I wish for you to help me with something."

"Like get back at those snake-tongue elders for insulting you?" Ravenkit wondreed. He lashed his tail at just the thought of them. "They said you deserved what happened to you! They deserve to every every bad word in existence thrown at them!"

Sagepaw let out a dark mew of amusement. "Right on, Ravenpaw! But I want them to suffer. Come take a walk with me so I can explain. And yes, I am still in a coma." Her eyes gleamed with excitement.

Ravenpaw looked to Moon, not sure if he should. She nodded to him, and she led him away from Moon as she sat there. He made sure to stay a good distance from her to give her personal space. After a few more steps she began to talk. The moon shone down on her pelt.

"You see, you may have slightly noticed this and dismissed this while you were in my clan for some time. There a division between us that has made us weak for generations. It is a wrong thing that is happening. Those who don't quite work as hard as some get less then they deserve of food and proper shelter. Those who are disabled such as me or unimportant elders get treated harshly. Young cars are mate much older cats, which has caused problems that make us die before we become elders. It is all horrible. There is no easy way to bring in end to it."

Ravenpaw's brain could barely handle what he had been told. He had to stop walking to take it all in. "What? That's just plain wrong! Valleyclan is in a mess! No wonder this hasn't been noticed by us other clans! Those mange-pelt snobby ones have kept it a secret somehow! It is jut evil. No wonder you want to stop it! Only you have the motivation, for you have truly suffered it!"

"Yes," said a calm Sagepaw. "I need to become leader to impose a harsh leadership to change our way, even if I have to force my way there." The two began walking again.

"But killing other cats for no reason is wrong!" Ravwnpaw argued.

Sagepaw sighed in preparation for what she was going to say. "Yes, it is wrong, Ravenpaw. But think about it! Those elders are what keep the nasty traditions alive. It will be less pain for the clan then. They shall suffer for their clan. I intend to, as leader, make everyone suffer until those who have wronged us "lesser' ones change their ways."

"But that isn't fair to those who have done nothing wrong!" interrupted Ravenpaw.

"I know!" Sagepaw snapped back. "But I know that most of them will accept it! We have always known that we we should not be treated like this, but I am the only one who has decided to take action! All others like me have been killed! But I stand a chance because I have a plan, and I know what to do! And I doing this for my Clan's future!
Use that noggin of yours! I know that you have one in there."

She is doing what she believes in. This would not stand in any other clan. This is wrong. That is clear to any cat. But sometimes a great evil is nessary.

"We both know that this is wrong. It is as evil as what the clan does itself. But sometimes a great evil is nessary to reach the goodness that there is." conceded Ravenpaw. "But how would I help with this?"

"This is the way I view that I am being loyal to my clan." Sagepaw answered. "And I would need help sometimes doing certain tasks. I would need to appear loyal to my clan."

Ravenpaw was still somewhat confused. "Why not just get a rogue to help you then?"

"I need someone who will truly understand my motives! And if you are to become the Marshclan leader, having a clan who borders us and is friends with the other one, Valleyclan will have no outside threats to worry about."

Ravwnpaw has to admit that that made sense "What makes you think that I will help you through?"

Sagepaw's tail in curled up as if she might be amused. "You may KNOW things, Ravenpaw," she cheerfully said "But you think like a slug! I already know that you want to help me, and you know it as well!"

Ravwnpaw felt his pelt grow heated in embarrassment. "Well.....you are right about that, both if this things actually."

"Great!" mewed a much less sour Sagepaw. "We shall train in the skills of a warrior then with Moon! Last one to her is a traitor!"

As Ravenpaw raced Sagepaw, he reflected on what they had talked about. What is it like to have authority anyhow? I do wonder what I can do. I'll have to ask Moon how to get some experience in that. And I don't know quite why I want to help her. I guess it's just because we share a hatred of wrong doers.