Chapter 9-A New Journey

-A moon after the events of Chapters 7 and 8-

Ravenkit arose at dawn. The sun's rays filtered into the Healing Den. Ravenkit had been stuck in the Valleyclan camp for a moon now after his accident. He felt guilty about accidentally killing Hawkstorm, but he had accepted the fact it wasn't his fault. He owed his life to Birchleaf and Sunkit. He had slept for a quarter-moon. The rest of the time had been spent growing stronger. But later today I shall go home and at last become a Learner!

Ravenkit took a look at the still sleeping Sagekit. Her leg was still in a cast, about two-thirds of the way healed. At this point, she was in a coma. The cut that the fox had inflicted into her left pelt was still there, but healed. They were now a permanent scar on her. She looked peaceful losing down. I feel sorry for her. Attacked a fox! She got it worser then I did! And for it to all happen on the same day! Fate is funny like that sometimes. He thought that she looked pretty with the light glistening her fur. He suddenly felt heat in his tail tip at that thought. Oh, silly me! This is just a normal thought for a tom like me, surely!"

A chilly wind ruffled his golden brown fur as he stepped out of the Healing Den. The season of warm-cold would be coming soon. The season in which he had been born, when life began anew, was called cold-warm. I will learn to be tougher be being trained in warm-cold and cold seasons! It has been wonderful season of warm, but all things come to an end.

He had observed much of how Valleyclan worked doing his stay here. They seems to have a system where those who worked a little less got a little less, but that was fair in his opinion. Although there did seem to end tension within the clan itself, but they were probably just concerned about having an outsider like him in the camp for so long. They fear that I am truly a killer and will come after them. I have seen where they live, so they fear I will use that knowledge  against them. Ravenkit did not like this thought, but he had accepted it. Every great leader has a great enemy.

If there was any cats in Valleyclan that he hated, it was those snake-tongue elders Stonestar and Sandclaw. They were viciously snobby. They think that Sagekit deserved her terrible accident because she is weak and useless with her deformed paw and terrible parents! Oh how wrong they are! She is just a kit who found herself in the wrong place at the wrong time! Oh, I'll show them someday just how wrong they are! They must learn! He dug his claws into the ground, irrationally full of anger at them. I'll just go wake up Badgerkit to play with him. That should get my mind off of those nasty elders. He's a fun kit too. He is strong!

He padded over to the nursery and woke up Badgerkit. Yawning, Badgerkit went outside. "Come on, mate! I was sleeping! You could have waited a little bit longer. What's up with you anyhow? He looked all worked up!"

Ravenkit told him what was in his mind. "Oh, it's just that I hate those snake-tongued elders! They blame Sagekit for her accident and being weak and useless for her paw! It's just not right, it's not the truth! They are just too prideful and snobby,"

"I have to agree there, " agreed Badgerkit. "To be honest with your my friend, I use to be no different a moon ago. But then on her terrible day she was......nice to me for once. I had bullied her for so long and I enjoyed. But she showed me not anger as I expected, but kindness. She shoo me the light. And now I am yet to say thank you yet."

"What matters is that you realized your mistakes." said a Ravenkit. He may have wronged Sagekit in the past, but once he can show that to her when she awakes, she will have a new friend in her life."

"My mother Honeypelt seems to think the same of Sagekit, being weak with her paw, but at least she isn't as extreme about it as Stonestar and Sandclaw are. She merely says that someday we shall see the truth about it. " Badgerkit revealed.

Just then Treestar entered the The camp with Jayheart, Longpaw, and Rustwood. Ravenkit and Badgerkit touched noses in farewell of friendships.

Ravenkit jolted to his father, who embraced him with his tail. "It is time to go my son. Perhaps some day you can come back as the Chief and be friends with  Valleyclan. And important things are to happen today."

Birchstar walked up to greet the Marshclan cat. "Thank you for helping me son Birchstar and for your generosity." Treestar said in joy. "May our ancestors bless you and your clan."

"It was all that we could do. May your son become a great Chief someday." Birchstar replied.

The two Chiefs nodded their heads to one another as a goodbye, and the group went out of the camp. Soon I will be a Learner! This is so exciting! I do wonder who my mentor will be though.

bThe sun was low in the dimnend sky. Treestar sat on the Declaration Tree, with the clan before him. Ravenkit was at the front of the crowd, gleaming in anticipation. "All of Marshclan has gathered this sun-low," began Treestar, "to see the beginning of the path of the warrior. Born into the night of twilight of darkness, but only to emerge as one with light when the sun rises. Ravenkit's journey has now begun. Come forward and face the clan" Ravenkit stepped over to the Declaration, turned around, and faced the sea of cats that was Marshclan.

"Do you Ravenkit week to stay loyal to Marsclan, to uphold faith in our clan, and protect the Code of the Clans until your last living breath?" Treestar asked.

"I accept my responsibility now and forever more, before the eyes of the clan." Ravenkit confidentially spoke aloud."

"By the rights given to me as a Chief chosen by our ancestors in The-Realm-Of-Eternal," Ravenkit' father declared, " I henceforth change you name to Ravenpaw and make you a Learner until you earn your place a warrior.  Your mentor shall be Rustwood. Rustwood, come forth."

The dark ginger she -cat went forward next to Ravenpaw and also faced the clan. Treestar spoke once again. "I now pronounce Rustwood to be the mentor of Ravenpaw until he is deemed ready  to become a warrior. Rustwood, pass on your skills of obidience and loyalty to Ravenpaw. I trust you too. Now your paths as mentor and Learner are now set. I bless our ancestors for letting this be."

The clan then cheered, and a Ravenpaw happily took in the praise his clanmates shouted. Now my path has began! I am Ravenkit no more; I am now Ravenpaw. I shall do the best I can. After the shoutout died down, Treestar dismissed the clan, who dispersed. Rustwood then spoke to Ravenpaw. 

"I except you to do well, and I know that you will try." Her orange eyes shined with compassion despite her tone. "We shall began training tomorrow. We will explore the Blazeclan and Valleyclan borders, but not hat of Lakeclan. Sleep well tonight Ravenpaw." She then walked off to the elder's den.

Ravenpaw went off to the Learner's bush to sleep for the night. The other Learners were off else doing what he did not know. It wasn't quite evening yet, but Ravenpaw wanted to be plenty rested for tomorrow. He lied down in a messy nest and took a long, deep slumber.