Chapter 8-Horrifying Discovery

Sagekit and Birchleaf walked along the southern border that Valleyclan with Marshclan. Birchleaf's white fur glittered in the sun. The ground they walked on was squishy and made obnoxious noises as they walked upon it. Sunkit heard a stream ahead, one of a few on the border, and soon they stopped beside it. The air brought cool mists of water into them, which Sunkit enjoyed feeling.

Sunkit began the conversation. "It is nice to spend the day together with you. I may not become your Learner, but at least we got to spend this time together . t's been such a beautiful day."

"Yes, yes it is," replied Birch leaf, " but that is not the only reason I brought us out here. I feel that something will be found here. Something in my dreams, but I can't remember what it is. And I brought you because I heard your name."

"I wonder what it could be. It's not right here, so it must be further upstream. Shall we go take a look?" Sunkit inquired.

"Yes, we shall. We shall do this together." Brichleaf spoke. Then they headed upstream, wanting to see what their ancestors. They walked for some time before they saw it. It was a horrifying discovery. They ran to help the cats.

Lying on a shallow, sandy area of the stream's waterline were an adult brown she-cat and a large, golden brown tom-kit. They were covered in scratches and cuts everywhere, with blood leaking and soaking them and the sand. They were still and silent.

"By our ancestors in that sky, what happened here?l" screeched Sunkit, horrified at the sight.

"The she-cat smells of Lakeclan, and the kit Marshclan. Seems as if they got into a fight somehow in the stream on their border and somehow washed up on the opposite side of Marshclan land." Birchleaf explained. "It's such a gruesome death. We might as well take the bodies to camp to protect them.'

Just as they moved to do that, Sunkit and Birchleaf saw the kits chest rise in just the slightest way. They looked at each other, nodded, and set to work to save the kit.

Sunkit went and got some cobwebs, broom, and other vital healing medicines. Meanwhile, Birchleaf set to work doing heart revival and clearing the lungs if water. Eventually, the kit was patched up, breathing, and had a steady heartbeat.

As they sat there and watched, the kit's eyes briefly opened and he mumbled an barely hearable sentence. "Father, Treestar........ attacked.........Hawkstorm......."

Sunkit looked at Birchleaf in surprise, wondering what it meant. "That's it!" Birchleaf exclaimed. "This is Marshclans' leader's son! Those agressive Lakeclan cats must have started a fight with Ravenkit's traditional 5 moons territory tour! Just earlier today in fact. And then somehow he and Hawkstorm, the dead she-cat here must have gotten tangled together in the stream, and the lake's current's brough them to this stream, and he accidentally killed her in the struggle!"

"That's so sad." said a somber Sunkit. "He will have enemies at such a young age now, and to be burdened with such a terrible reputation, being called a 5 moons old murderer! Deer ancestors!"

"Sunkit," said Birchleaf, "I hate to do this, but we must leave Hawkstorm's body for now, so we can carry the Ravnkit to camp. We will also send out a message to Treestar that his son is alive, and to Lakeclan time come get their deputy's body. A couple of warriors will come get it after we get the camp." Sunkit nodded, and they carefully took the kit back to camp.

Every cat yowled in questions the moment that they came through the entrance. Birchstar leapt over to the scene, and quieted everyone down in an instant.
"Birchleaf, explanation now and quick! I see that we have an injured kit here!" she ordered.

Birchleaf responsed very quickly. "We found Ravenkit barely alive with the dead body of Hawkstorm, washed up on the stream shore. I assume that Lakeclan attacked during Ravenkit's 5 moons territory tour, and he and Hawkstorm somehow fell into the stream, he accidentally killed her in he struggle, and the lake carried them to where we found them."

A collective gasp emerged at the story. Birchstar quickly gave orders. "Thornpaw and Apple-eye go get Hawkstorm's body and bring it here to camp. Barknose, go to Lakeclan and tell them to come get their deputy's cadaver. Cloudfur go the Marshclan and tell Treestar of his son's current state. Everyone else, step back and give Birchleaf and Sunkit some space to move through."

The chosen cats raced by Sunkit, Birchleaf, and the unconscious Ravenkit to do their duties. Soon, Ravenkit was in the Healing Den, lieing down in a nest.

Birchstar questioned them quickly for all the details, thanked them, and headed off. The camp seemed to be peace then, but then Sunkit heard another sound of shock from the clan. Now what is it, wondered a now ticked off Sunkit, we have already had enough drama for today! The sound of multiple pawsteps burst.into the Healing Den, and Sunkit quickly went sour.

A very distressed Rockheart and Flowerclaw were trudging along carefully. Inbetween them was a sagging Sagekit. Three parallel lines were bleeding out on her left flank and her front right leg was in a makeshift cast. She looked more dead than alive.

Sunkit wailed in bewilderment and horror. "How is this so? Why is it so? Two kits injured on the same day  doing the same thing, both now in the same place! And Sagekit! She mustn't die!"

"Focus Sunkit," Birchleaf in a kind voice, "Grieving will not help you now! Help save your friend now! Grieve later! You will only feel guilty if you do not help! If she dies, you need to know that you at least tried!"

The importance of Birchleaf's advice dawned upon Sunkit. She went into a frenzy and barely remembered the following time. Everything was a blur for her. She worked harder and more intensely then she had ever before.

She remembered getting seeing Treestar in the Healing Den, wild with worry about his son. He had given her a huge thanks, that he was in their debt for saving his son's life. She felt proud and embarrassed at the same time.

Eventually the sun had set, and peace and exhaustion settled down over Sunkit. I have done it. Sagekit and Ravenkit have lived thanks to me. Then she curled up in the Healing Den floor and had a peaceful slumber.