|21|

Jisoo braced herself to walk away. This was enough. There was enough disappointment and she should've never doubted her bestfriend's words. She didn't regret asking Jennie though because she still wanted to get her answer.

She was expecting some kind of explanation but Jennie only kept quiet. She wasn't sure if there's something that the younger girl would add. All that Jisoo knew is that she needed to get some fresh air to breathe.

"I see. So that's how it is..." The older girl replied in almost a whisper. She shook her head in dismay. "Thank you for being honest, Jennie."

"Jisoo--"

"I'll be in my room, okay? I'll ask for someone to help you in your bath." She pulled back from her reach, a pity sight to see when the younger girl dropped her arms on her lap heavily. "I need some time to... think."

The bathroom was spacious but it felt like there wasn't the ventilation she needed. It was like the air was stagnant and Jisoo wanted out. Just as soon as she could reach for the door knob, Jennie's voice echoed in the room.

"It was a yes and a no. Yes, I didn't deny whatever those people said that I did." Jennie had her head down when Jisoo looked back at her. The other girl let out a breath and looked up the ceiling as Jisoo waited for the reason for her second answer, her starting to race. "And no... I didn't want to hurt Chaeyoung that bad. But if that's what it takes for her to leave and forget about me... it was worth it."

'Worth it?'

"It was worth it that my bestfriend got hurt? You hate her that much? To the point that you thought of hurting her?" She asked back, her blood boiling now as she thought of Chaeyoung almost limping around because of such stunt. The infuriation only increased as Jisoo's confusion about which side to believe now worsen. Only the fact that such an unjust situation really happened to her bestfriend registered in brain and set her emotions in flare. "Jennie, that sprain could've been worse! She could've broken other parts of her body and--"

"Those bitches said it wasn't serious. It would heal and--"

"I think out of everyone else you're really the one being a bitch to people's lives." Jisoo wished those words didn't sting her as much as it did but Jennie still avoiding her gaze made her feel like she wronged her. She wanted to slap herself for being torn to two things and only focus on something one at a time. "Chaeyoung saw you as her friend and cared for you too. She even said that she liked you! And I don't know but maybe she'll end up loving you too--"

Jennie cut her off in a beat. "And that's why I did what I did."

"What? What are you talking about?"

"I don't want that thing." She replied in low tone. "What's the use of that if you'll end up betrayed and hurt in the future?"

"So it's your thing to predict the worst case scenarios and believe them, isn't it?" The older girl scoffed at her. "You're that of a pessimist?"

"No, Jisoo. I'm a realist." The younger girl turned to her with a determined face. "How long do you think she'll last with me? A lifetime? Because that's bullshit. Give it a year or two and anyone can get tired of you and stab you in the back."

She felt herself raising her voice, "Chaeyoung isn't like that--"

"But she did get tired with me, didn't she?"

Jisoo was becoming frustrated because as much as they were both stating facts, she thinks Jennie's being unreasonable. How can anyone stay with someone who continuously pushes them away? She might have endured all those but everyone else has their own perspective. Chaeyoung definitely wasn't like her but that didn't mean she didn't try.