"Oh, Bella... I hope you know what you're doing. What time is the plane going to be here?"

"It should be there 1 pm. I'll get a driver to drive you to the airport. Please bring Roberto and Papa if he's willing."

"Okay Bella, please call me tonight. Ti Amo." 

"Okay mama, thank you. Ti Amo."

Hanging up the phone was bittersweet. I'm glad to know my mother is coming and knowing her she will drag half of the family with her. She's always been supportive of my brother and I even if she's not accepting of the decision made. My mama has been the family's cheerleader for years. Always ready to cheer us on without judgment.

I had to make more unexpected calls to my friends and other family members to make sure everyone is ready and prepared to attend the party this weekend. Hearing my best friends Babina and Julianna voices must have been the highlight of my day. I haven't spoken to them in 4 years but once they answered the phone, it felt like nothing has changed. They were quite shocked to find an official invitation from the Vincenzo Clan for a wedding but there were one of the few to know why I disappeared for so long. 

Once all the phone calls were made, I made my way towards the dining room in search of Dominic. He was sitting in the dining room dressed in a black cashmere V neck sweater and black faded dressed pants awaiting for his breakfast. His attention was directed to today's newspaper.

"Out the shower, I see," I commented as I sat beside Dominic. He didn't look up from the paper in his tightly gripped hands. He simply nodded in my direction. It seems that no one can disturb Dominic's reading time. 

Shortly, Liliana, the head maid entered the room pushing a serving cart towards us. On the cart were two plates of french toast served with pancakes and fruits along with a tea and coffee pot and small condiments like butter and jams. She placed the plates in front of us before dismissing herself back to the kitchen. I started to eat when Liliana disappeared. Dominic continued to read the paper. 

"Where did you go this morning?" Dominic wondered, his eyes never left the paper.

"I was in my old room making phone calls to everyone. My mother and friends should be flying down tomorrow as planned."

"Just your mother?"

"And my brother. I don't expect my father to come no matter how much my mother begs him." The thought of my father missing my engagement party because of his stupid pride or whatever secret he's hiding from me saddens me. He's my papa. He should put any issues aside to support me as my mother does. 

"Does that hurt you?"

"No, I understand he's a busy man." 

"A lie so early in the morning? What unladylike behavior you display." 

"I'm not lying. I understand why he wouldn't show up."

"I never asked if you understood. I asked if it makes you sad that he might not come."

"It would make any girl sad not to have her father there for their engagement."

"Does it make you sad?" He repeats firmly. He placed the newspaper aside and looked directly into my eyes.

"Yes, it makes me sad. Happy?"

"No, your sadness does not make me happy but knowing how you feel does." 

"Can we just finish eating? I have some work to do before the wedding like memorize where everything is in the house. Where will my guests be staying anyways?"