Part II: Mr. Wilderness Expert

Beam

Everyone is now gathered around the campfire drinking beer and having fun. Well, they are, but obviously except for one person, me. I think my face has been on permanent scowl the whole night. The night is cold and mosquitoes are now feasting on my arms. I scooted over the fire to get more heat. Beside me, Pha and Kit were having fun singing along with the engineering boys. Forth brought his guitar, and everyone was merrily drinking beer, chitchatting, and enjoying the music.

I tried my best to lighten my mood, but I still feel irritated. I don’t know what is wrong with me, seriously.

I sipped my beer as I observed him as he softly strums his guitar. I see how his long fingers expertly pluck the strings. His eyes are closed as he slowly feels the music.

I let out a barely audible “Tsk”. What a showoff, my piano skills are better.

Unexpectedly, he opened his eyes and he looked at me. He must have sensed that I’m glaring at him. So we like, just stared at each other. I’m not gonna lose though. I hate how his eyes are so clear, sharp, and unreadable. I stared harder. My eyes started to sting from the campfire smoke.

He cleared his throat and stopped playing to drink his beer. He stopped looking at me after that. Good. I congratulated myself. I won.

It was getting late, so the idiots finally decided to move on from singing and start the story time, with of course, horror stories. Pha and Kit shared that ridiculous story about the dead student haunting the Medicine Faculty. That urban legend was actually kinda scary though. That’s why I really don’t want to stay late in the laboratories.

Then the engineering boys took turns in sharing their stories, mostly campus related. I’m starting to get goosebumps, so I scooted nearer to Pha.

“Oh, are you scared Beamie?” He teased as he draped his shoulder over me.

“Shut up, Pha! I’m just cold.”

“Boo!” Kit suddenly poked me on my waist, and I let out a scream, a not so manly scream at that.

“Fuck you, Kitty!” Kit just laughed his ass off.

“Stop it! I’m not scared!” Everyone just laughed and teased me more.

“You’re so cute, Beam.” Lam said. I glared at him. Beside him Forth just looked at me, with a smirk on his face. I just rolled my eyes.

“But guys, did you know there’s also a famous story about a hidden cave in this mountain?” It was Lam again.

“Oh, I heard that one!” Park said.

“They say, there’s a cave somewhere in the mountains, we’ll it's actually in the map but it doesn’t have a name because is relatively small. Inside there’s a naturally made grotto, and people make their wishes on the grotto after building an eight-stone stack.”

Forth lets out a snort. “Do you really believe these stories Ai’Lam?”

Lam just ignored him.

“However, the cave is really hard to find because the entrance is so discreet, hardly noticeable. But those who successfully did had their wishes come true!”

“Wow.” Kit said.

“It’s true!” Park said, supporting his friend.

“Let’s go find the cave tomorrow then?” Pha said.

“We can’t go in groups. The cave only shows itself to one or two people. It makes it even harder to find.” Lam explained.

“Sounds like a hoax.” I say, not really believing it.