The Monstrous Choice

In the depths of the dungeon, the shadowy demon lord whispered through the floating circle of flames:

"Tell me, Kendrick Eldrazar... how far are you willing to go in the pursuit of vengeance?"

"To the end of the nine Abysses if it's needed, master!" replied the silver hair elf on his knees. He never dared to look directly to Malek Zoghun, for he knew that those who do so are destined to insanity and despair. Even a three thousand years elf.

"You have already mastered the power of the hell energy, my child" continued the dark figure with red glowing eyes. His distorted voice slithered like poison through the veins. "Most mortals never reach this level. Yet you still wish a fragment of my soul in order to become a full warlock. You know that such power has a price."

Kendrick clutched his fists, his fingernails drilling the soft pale skin. An incensed distaste eclipsed his face when the memory of that paladin crossed his thoughts.

"She killed my mother, master! Kandrya was honest and righteous, the best healer of Gallendhar! That paladin sword stole not only her life but my soul. And now I shall not rest until I bring her the fury of the whole hell!"

Kendrick closed his violet eyes and asked solemnly:

"Give me your power, master! Be one with me! Only at your side I will be able to destroy that nefarious worm!"

"That which you seek will be given, my child. As long as you prove yourself worthy of my power. To bear a fragment of my soul, I request a unique sacrifice."

The long hair elf responded promptly, no doubt crossing his lips:

"Whatever you wish, consider done, master! I pledge my allegiance to you! I'll sacrifice whoever is needed to see that woman under the hellish hour!"

The demon lord smiled silently.

"Very well. To be a full warlock, Kendrick Eldrazar, by the next full moon, you shall sacrifice no one else but Khaylla Eldrazar, your five years old sister."

An electric silence fell over the elf. He wanted to believe he misheard it. Malek Zoghun knew she was the last family member he had. Of course it was a terrible mistake, he could never...

"To become a full warlock you shall not bear love inside of your heart. For this distasteful sentiment creates waves of interference to the diabolic powers. Both cannot coexist inside of a living creature."

"But master... there has to be another way!"

"Now that you have already pledged your will to me, I wait no less but the heart of Khaylla in three days. Kendrick Eldrazar, do not dare to fail me."

With that death sentence, the hovering flames vanished from the air along with the demon lord, allowing the elf to be illuminated only by the circle of black candles in which he was kneeling. The elf in black robe gazed the flames dancing in the quiet dungeon, his fury storming his chest and possessing his tormented soul.

"NOOOOOOOO!!" he shouted, the tears streaming down in conniving ache as his right fist punched the cold floor. A red aura not only involved the pointy ears apprentice but exploded in a bloody light, scattering the candles away. Only darkness remained, along with that crimson glow radiating from his body.

Soon, Kendrick walked up the spiral stairs, opened the hatch and was back to his lonely tower in the mountains. It's been a time he was banished from the city of elves for the learning of such morbid arts. At least he could bring Khaylla with him. She was his light anchor, the only good thing that made him believe he still had a heart. 

His sister was his last connection with his old life, one in which days were brighter and the winds blew gently. Nonetheless, so much had he already sacrificed in his pursuit for power... His old friends, his people, his respect for life...

Kendrick had to do uncountable sacrifices to the dark entities in order to learn with his master. Animals, then humans, then virgins... It never pleased him at all. He wished there was another way. Notwithstanding, the paladin who he targets is way too powerful. Only the opposite energy has some real advantage against her. That loathsome being took everything from him. The elf could never be the same after that loss. Kendrick believed, deep within his heart, that if he ever made her pay, his pain might not disappear, but it could definitely feel smaller.

His journey has never been just for power. All the apprentice truly wished in his core was peace. A break from that throbbing wound in his soul. And he would move skies and mountains for this. No matter what. Or so he thought until his final challenge. The elf spent the three days racking his brains to solve this paradox. 

Was it worth to kill her? He would avenge his mother, but the pain would be replaced by another loss. But how else could he achieve the level needed to defeat the paladin? Kendrick was resourceful in his magic, yes, although he knew it wasn't enough.

What if... it was a test of loyalty? Maybe Malek Zhogun just wished to see how far Kendrick would go for him. Perhaps he could even resurrect his sister. He wished the demon lord could bring back his mother, but he said that only souls in the Abyss or those sacrificed can be brought back to life for him. Then... that was the only reasonable answer. So much has Kendrick done for his master, he couldn't repay him in this hideous way.

He had to do that. She would be brought back. Everything would be ok... right?

💀👿👹🔥👹👿💀

If you liked the story, please hit the star button and subscribe for more! Comment what you liked the most, I'm dying to know! And if you found any mispelling, please comment it that I shall correct it right away! Next chapter comes soon. That's all folks!