Chapter 2 - A Bit Demanding, Mr. Dimaano

Picture is of Mr Matthew Dimaano

Fixing my plaid skirt and adjusting the black headband on my head I let out a sigh.

"Today is the day." Turning to look at Clarissa I tried for a confident smile, although from the look on her face I could tell she knew it was faux pas.

"Nicki Mr. Nashuki may be a hardass, but he is still a professional photojournalist. He wont let the fact that you're a seventeen year old student detour his opinion of your work for this opportunity." Going to Farraut Academy, a very prestigious boarding school in California students were no strangers to professionals coming into our school to give our classes first hand knowledge on how to create a name for ourselves in the 'real world'.

In my photography class, we had been graced with Mr. Nashuki; a well known photojournalist most famous for his ability to get on the inside and showing the public the other side of high class elite. Going behind the scenes of what the high class society masks, sometimes sex scandals, sometimes philanthropy, he even helped solve a murder case once.

My dream is to become a photojournalist of his standings, and he has let me know on more than one occasion that I am his protégé; a month after school started he told me that if I can show him proof that I have the same ability to get on the inside as he; he would love to have me for an internship. I of course agreed, he gave me one month to come up with photos and the deadline is today.

Fortunately for me, the Gods have been working in my favour, three months ago my little rebellious act of sneaking into a club called Sixty- Sevens turned out to be a preview of my new workplace. The club has only become more exclusive meaning more and more of the high class people of California have been showing up there, not any huge front page types of people, nonetheless these people are climbing their way to the top and I would be waiting for them.

I hadn't started going back to the club since my first time, until Mr. Nashuki, it was a lot harder to get in, however since Clarissa was a social climber herself she made very good 'friends' with the bouncer so that she and her friends could get in easily on the nights he was working the door. This allowed me to be able to go in and get my photos for the past month. And today I was going to show Mr. Nashuki them in hopes that they impress him enough to give me the Spring Break internship; all semi-term guest teachers offer one or two students of their choosing this opportunity.

To say the least my nerves were strained. Mr. Nashuki was known for working with some of the wisest artists of our time and I'm praying he wont see me as some immature, snobby, prep-school student, who is unreliable. As was quoted from him when giving his opinion of some of the people who go to my school.

Clarissa and I began gathering up our things before leaving the dorm and entering into the cool fall air, photo essay in hand. The walk from our dorms to the main campus was a pleasant one, the fresh air was calming my nerves, sucking in a breath I turned to Clarissa.

"Okay, I'm ready, for whatever Mr. Nashuki has to say about my photo-essay, I can take it with my head held high and I wont cry... probably." Clarissa smirked at me, pulling open the door for the arts wing she spoke her version of encouragement.

"I'm sure you'll be perfect and if Mr. Nashuki isn't impressed with your sleazy paparazzi skill then he doesn't deserve you as a coffee gopher anyway."

"Thanks." I scoff sarcasm clear in my voice.

"Great, bye baby; knock 'em dead." Clarissa threw me a smirk and a wink as she headed to the east wing for her international business class. Leaving me standing outside my classroom contemplating if I should really go through with this or keep my pride and skip class for the day.