She nodded and goes to the pantry door.

"How you doing?" Nate asked, leaning his back against the counter.

"I'm fine." I gave a small smile. "Why do you ask?"

He stared directly into my eyes and I looked away after a few seconds, pretending to be completely focused on getting the rest of the ingredients out.

"If there's ever a point where your feelings for me change, you'd let me know right?" He randomly asked.

Um, okay.

"Yeah, of course. Why?"

"Just making sure."

"You're worried I'm going to leave you for-" I paused before saying August's name since Serena is within earshot. "Can we talk about this later?"

"Sure." He said, but his face looked as if that was the last thing he wants. "Need any help?"

I nodded, and within an hour and a half, dinner was ready.

"Serena baby, would you like to go upstairs and tell your daddy dinner is ready?"

"Aww, but I wanted to set the table. Can I do that instead?"

"Of course. I'll go get your daddy." I smiled and ignored Nate looking my way as I left the kitchen.

I found August upstairs in his room.

"Aug." I knocked my knuckles against the door.

He opened it seconds later, smiling when he sees me.

"Ma'am?"

"Dinner's ready.

"Mm. Smells good. But could I talk to you real quick?"

"Um, later? I don't want the food to get cold." I said, only partially telling the truth about the food.

I could tell Nathan is already feeling some type of way about me being around him and this probably wouldn't help.

"Now you know damn well as soon as dinner is over, ya boy gone be all over you like white on rice and look me upside my damn head if he even think I'm thinking bout you. It won't take long, I promise." He opened the door wider.

"That's true. Okay." He moved out of the way so I could walk in.

I sat on his bed and crossed my legs under me and he joined me.

"First, I want you to know that I love the fuck outta you. I made a stupid ass mistake by leaving you and I still regret it."

"August," I tried to interrupt but he kept talking.

"Chill, just listen. I'm grateful for you being the mother of my child, and accepting Rena even though you don't like her mama. It just proves how amazing of a woman you are, and makes me love you even more. Deadass, I want you to know I'm not on no secretive shit. As in I won't purposely do anything to cause any issues between you and ya mans. I apologize for kissing you the otha day knowing you're with him. Long as you want him in your life and he's treating you and our daughter right," He shrugged. "Ain't shit I can really do. But the minute he fucks up, I'm on his ass. So be happy with him."