Reasoning

I reached out a shaking hand and tugged the Invisibility cloak off. It fell to my feet in a silken heap.

"What the hell happens now," I said shrilly. "Because if he's going to go and convince Headmaster Dippet to not let me leave-"

"My dear Hermione," Dumbledore gave me a sharp look, "Did you think I had no idea what I was doing? Riddle will only relent once he is aware we are Headmaster has us in confidence. There is nothing that is going to happen that I haven't forseen. Now, do you have everything you will need? We can always come back if you've left anything behind but I think given the circumstances we'd best make sure we have everything we need with us now."

"Ok. Well, Tom's still got my time turner." I said, "Other than that I've got everything."

"We will be apparating from the top of the Astronomy Tower. I've temporarily taken down the protective enchantments, we have a 20 minute gap before the School is sealed off again."

I stuffed my cloak back into my beaded bag.

"Leave it out." Dumbledore said wisely. "I don't think the coast will be clear just yet."

He was right. When we left the corridor I was thankful I was beneath the Invisibility cloak because Tom was standing outside Dumbledores office door. I basically jumped out of my skin. On the contrary Dumbledore looked calm as he closed the door behind us, turning to Tom with polite interest as if he didn't just catch him being a pro stalker.

"Who were you talking to?"

Tom Riddle asked Dumbledore, his dark eyes piercing and intense. It was the type of look which gave one the impression of being considered by a hungry lion deciding on his next meal.

"Well?"

"I often talk to myself," Dumbledore said lightly. "A great mind such as mine gets scrambled often, so when I'm alone I often like to go over certain things of importance in case something trivial comes and I forget what it was that I had been pondering."

I hardly dared to breathe. Was Tom going to fall for this?

"I can see why you've never been asked to be the Headmaster, then." Tom pulled off from the wall, folding his arms across his chest.
The edge in his voice was merciless, I could just feel the underlying notes of anger and malice emanating from him. I shivered beneath the cloak. The sooner we shook him off and reached the Astronomy tower the better.

"I have been asked a few times to be the Headmaster." Dumbledore answered thoughtfully. "I rejected the offers, however. A Wizard such as myself has a great number of things to sort out before I could ever consider stepping into to such a position. Anyway. That's besides the point, and I'm sure you'd agree. What did the Headmaster have to say?" Dumbledore began walking down the hall, I walked briskly behind him, making sure to keep a fair bit of distance between myself and Tom.

"What makes you think I've gone to see Dippet?" Tom said coldly.

"Headmaster Dippet, Tom. And I ask out of sheer curiosity. You did leave the room the moment I mentioned the highest power at this school was the Headmaster. It seemed to me your natural inclination would be to go and see for yourself if there was anything you could do to sway the vote so to speak."

"You've ever so perceptive." Said Tom, keeping up easily. He was almost as tall as Dumbledore, both wizards towered over me. Beneath the cloak, I watched Tom as we walked, his language was relaxed enough. But those dark eyes were too sharp, too calculative. He wasn't letting this go easily, the stubborn bastard.

"He told me that it was none of my concern." Tom looked ahead, his eyes like gleaming ebony.

"I agree." Dumbledores tone wasn't the slightest bit concerned, and I didn't blame him. Tom was pushing it. I watched his pale face from a safe distance, watched as his hands balled into fists and his
jaw muscle tensed.

"And why is that?" He said quietly.

"As you said," Dumbledore said smoothly, "It is a good thing that I am not the Headmaster. At least, not for your sake. Had a student been as interfering as you had been regarding these matters that don't concern you, they would have been sent back to classes smartly. I can't reprimand you regarding this, because it isn't within my authority. But can advise you that it would be wise to let this one go."

"I'll ask you one last time," Tom said clearly, stopping in his tracks, "Who is Hermione staying with?"

"That does not concern you as much as you'd like to think. If I were you, I would go my way and not pay it any further mind."

"I can assure you," Tom said with finality, "That I will be doing no such thing any time soon."

"Well, that is your choice, Tom." Dumbledore lead us around a corner, his voice was almost sad. "As it has always been. But I will say that I am sorry you couldn't reach another more mature conclusion."

Tom fell back. I watched as he gave Dumbledore one last look of pure hatred before he turned and stalked off.

"We've lost him." I said under my breath. "Finally."

It felt like I could breathe again.

"Yes. For the time being." Dumbledore replied. We made our way up the twisting halls, reaching the Astronomy tower after a rather silent walk.

It felt like the air surrounding us was buzzing with all things unsaid, I couldn't wait until we were outside School grounds so we could discuss everything amongst ourselves. Now was not a good time, nor a good place to bring these matters into the open.

Tom wasn't the least bit happy I was about to leave and stay with Dumbledore. If anything he was fully set in opposition to it, just hearing him going on about it before made me realise just how much power Tom thought he had over me. It made me angry to think about it. I wasn't some puppet on a string.

I put my hands into my cloak pockets, my left hand enclosing around a small piece of parchment.

The one the Slytherins has passed onto me from Tom.

Slowly, I unravelled it as we walked. In black ink, penned very neatly in Tom's familiar cursive writing was a message.

I have come to realise I was wrong about you. It read. My blood ran cold, my eyes scanning the paper as if my life depended on it. He'd realised he was wrong about me? In what way?

To mess with me is to play a dangerous game. This is more than you know. A matter of powers and principalities. You are a fool, Hermione. You can't run and hide from me. You may not be sorry now but I can promise you this. I will personally make sure that when this is over, you most certainly will be.