Hard Feelings

"Aren't you going to get ready?" Tom snapped at me. It was hard to tell by his expression how he was feeling. To me, it looked like he had something to hide. Something I couldn't quite put my finger on.

"Yeah. I guess." I turned and walked away. Dumbledore was waiting for me, and there was no way in hell I wanted to stay here with Tom.

Or did I.

"Hermione, wait."

I froze.

"Do you have to leave?"

If I hadn't turned to see him say the words I wouldn't have believed that they had come out of his mouth. Even Tom looked taken off guard by what he'd said. I hadn't seen him look that helpless, like a lost puppy.

"What the hell do you mean?" Now it was my turn to snap. What was wrong with him? His behaviour was insane. The way he switched personas within the space of a heartbeat was erratic and quite frankly unnerving.

"I meant to say how long are you going to be absent for?" Tom said heatedly. "I have a right to know that at least." His dark eyes were intense and wide, like they could swallow me whole. He looked almost innocent, but I wasn't fooled.

"Probably a couple of days." I said slowly. "I don't know. After everything that's happened I'm leaning more towards a week."

Tom turned so his broad back was facing toward me. I couldn't see his face.

"Why are you so slow at getting ready to leave?" He said venomously. I could see him tense up. "Just get the fuck out of here already."

"What's your problem?"

I stormed over so I could see his face. His jaw clenched when he saw me, like he was trying to compose himself.

"I don't know." He said quietly. "Perhaps it is better if you do leave. Then I won't hurt you again."

"What, so you're going to play the star crossed lover now? Fuck off." I snapped.

I had everything I needed with me already in my beaded bag so that was no worries. I stormed off, not looking back once. Tom was gone by the time I came back from my dorm, and I was grateful about that. If he had issues with me leaving Hogwarts that was his problem. I didn't need his drama in my life right now. Normally I would give people chances but Tom was someone that didn't deserve it.

I headed up the hall, every face was a blur to me. I was crying again. What the hell was wrong with me. I was an emotional wreck, I needed some self control.

"Hermione." It was Isabella Rey, the Ravenclaw i had made friends with a while ago. "Are you alright?"

"Yes," I grumbled, wiping tears off my face. "I'm absolutely fine."

"Sorry, that was a really stupid thing to say." Isabella rushed. "I just saw you crying and wanted to see if I could help..."

"I'm sorry but this is a bad time." I looked her in the eye. "I'm leaving for a bit. If anyone asks about me just tell them I'm with a relative."

"Ok, then."

I made to walk off. My legs felt like lead weights, there was no strength left inside me anymore. I felt completely used and spat out. I might as well have been one of the Hogwarts ghosts.

I was continuing to walk up the hall when a group of Slytherins passed me. The exact same ones who had assaulted me the other night.

I was almost past them when one of them reached a hand out. Inside it was a piece of parchment.