Chapter Twelve - Forbidden Answers

Start from the beginning

"Don't 'Ella' me!" I said to Cain.

Jai stepped in front of Cain, who had begun to approach me.

"Let me talk to her," he said.

Cain looked at me one more time before he turned and walked out of the room, slamming the door shut behind him. I felt the floor shake as he did so.

"You're not going to talk me out of it," I said.

"I'm not going to try to," Jai said calmly. "I'm only going to tell you that you should wait until the morning."

I shook my head.

I wanted out of that castle immediately.

"How do you plan on getting to an airport?" Jai asked.

"I'll walk," I said stubbornly.

He sighed before walking around the bed and cutting in front of me and my suitcase.

"Be realistic for a moment," he said. "It's thirty miles to the nearest airport and it's also below freezing outside."

"I can't believe you just told me to be realistic," I said incredulously. "Especially since Cain just tried to convince me he was, not one, but two mythical creatures."

"He was telling the truth. But, whether you believe him or not is entirely up to you," Jai said.

I shook my head.

"Wait until morning," Jai said again. "Daniel and I are driving to Frankfurt. We'll drop you off at the airport."

I bit the inside of my lip, feeling helpless.

"Get some sleep," he said, walking around the bed to the bedroom door.

"Tell him not to come back in here," I said firmly. "I don't want to see him again."

I saw Jai's jaw clench as he turned around, but he nodded nonetheless.

When he left the room, I stared at my disheveled suitcase for a moment before I laid down on the bed.

There's just no way he was telling the truth...

- - -

Narrative P.O.V.

A crystal glass flew across the room and shattered against the wall beside Daniel's face as he entered the room.

"I take it she found out," Daniel said, looking nervously at Jai.

Jai nodded, his arms crossed.

Cain stormed across his office and grabbed Daniel by the shirt collar. Picking him up, he slammed him against the wall.

Daniel's feet dangled as he made direct eye contact with Cain.

"You told her about the tunnels, didn't you?" Cain asked, his eyes darkening.

"She was bound to find out about you sooner or later," Daniel said slowly. "You can't blame me for this."

"I was the one who was supposed to tell her," Cain growled, squeezing Daniel's neck tighter.

"When did you plan on doing that?" Daniel breathed out, struggling for air.

"Cain, you're going to kill him," Jai said.

Cain let go of Daniel's neck and watched him slide down the wall onto the floor, coughing and gasping for air.

"You can't take it back," Jai said to Cain. "What's done is done. We're taking her to the airport tomorrow morning."