Fifteen.

Roman and Mariana were running late to school the next morning. He drove her home to change her clothes while her dad lay passed out on the couch, gentle jazz playing through the speakers while he snored away. Roman followed her upstairs, both of them being as quiet as possible.

Mariana quietly shut the door, going to the closet to find something comfortable. Roman lounged on her bed, watching as she stripped, nibbling on his thumb. "Work it for me, gorgeous,"Roman was met with a shirt to the face.

Mariana sat in front of her mirror, brushing through her black hair while Roman played around on his phone, seeing that Peter hadn't texted him anything. He sighed, knowing he was still pissed off.

"I really don't feel like school today," Mariana sighed, picking up some mascara and applying a little bit for the first time since the party. "I have practice, and Queen Bitch will be up my ass,"

Roman smirked at her, "Mariana Ramos doesn't feel like school? Is that even allowed?" he asked. She glared at him through the mirror, and all he did was give her a wink. "We've known each other for twelve years, and I don't think I've ever seen you ditch,"

Mariana rolled her eyes, "The only time I ditched was when Brooke was found, I just never really saw the appeal," she shrugged, putting the wand back in its place. "Plus my dad would kill me."

Roman sat up when she moved off the chair, sliding a hoodie over her head and digging through her collection of perfume. "You need to live a little, you haven't lived until you've ditched to go and do something fun,"

Mariana shook her head, "One day but not today, come on, we're already late," she said, picking up her backpack from the floor. Roman followed her down the stairs, mumbling, "All the more reason not to go."

They had barely made it in time for the third period, and while they sat in their classes, Peter was sitting on one of the staircases, trying to figure out how he was going to break the news to Roman that it was over. He couldn't do this anymore. When the bell rang, he stood up, heading down the steps as kids began to file out of their classes for the start of fourth-period lunch.

Peter saw Mariana at her locker and quickly dodged her by leaving through one of the exit doors. He knew if he talked to her, Peter would crumble and let her know what was going on, and he couldn't bring himself to tell her they weren't going to find the thing that mauled her friend.

Of course, Rumanceks were short on luck because he ran right into Roman who was about to light a cigarette. The boys stared at each other before Peter walked over to him. It was now or never.

-

After practice was over, Mariana was walking out of the gym when she was grabbed from behind. She screamed and smacked the chest of whoever had caught her, only to find it was Roman.

"You scared me!" she panted, holding her hand to her chest, but was taken aback by the look on his face. "What's wrong?" she asked.

Roman stared at her, flexing his jaw. He checked their surroundings, finding that the rest of her squad were paying them no mind. "Peter bailed on us, we're not finding that damn thing anymore,"