Nine.

Mariana found herself at the Godfrey estate, making light conversation with Shelley, who was a total sweetheart

Mariana found herself at the Godfrey estate, making light conversation with Shelley, who was a total sweetheart. According to Roman, she had a rough day at school after being tormented by some immature boys, and Mariana wasn't about to act like it never happened so she decided to come over and get to know his little sister.

"I think cheerleading looks cool, you're very good at it," Shelley typed into her phone, "You're one of the nicer ones, and I'm happy you and Roman are friends," she smiled at Mariana.

"That's very sweet of you, Shelley," Mariana beamed. They started talking about the team, and she answered any questions Shelley had until Olivia Godfrey walked into the kitchen, and everything got silent. Shelley hung her head as if she were afraid of her own mother.

"I'm sorry to interrupt your bonding session, but we must go now, darling," Olivia said, brushing Shelley's black hair away from her face. "You're going to be late to your appointment," she said, her eyes briefly flickering to Mariana who gave her a little smile.

"Okay, bye Mariana," Shelley typed into her phone before she stood up, her tall frame shuffling out of the kitchen. Olivia watched her go before looking down at Mariana. "I believe my son is looking for you, that Gypsy is here and he's stinking up my foyer," she called as she left after Shelley. Mariana frowned and stood up, seeing Roman meet Peter by the door.

They waited until she joined them until Peter spoke, "We need to talk, in private," he added, seeing Olivia lingering around Shelley uncomfortably close as she slipped into her shoes. Roman led them into a room upstairs before locking the door, and they all sat down.

"I'm under suspicion with the police, some woman came to my house and started asking me questions," Peter told them, nervously rubbing his hands along his jeans. Roman's eyes widened, and Mariana only stared. "She's with Fish and Wildlife Services, but there's something about Chasseur that I don't like,"

"What are the fuck are we supposed to do?" Roman asked, "She's going to overhear all of the shit gossip going around town about you."

"That bitch is going to lock me in a cage, she's going to wait for the right moment to arrest me," Peter mumbled.

"She can't prove shit, especially if you have an alibi, we could cover for you," Mariana offered, "It's three against one, she can't arrest you with no evidence,"

"Her evidence is I'm a Gypsy," Peter explained, "I appreciate it Mariana, but I can't let you two get dragged into that with me," he said, taking a deep breath, "And that's why I think it's time we find the Vargulf,"