Two.

Mariana's car was in front of her house the next morning.

you're welcome, Mari- RG

Her father stood next to her in the driveway as she read the note scratching the back of his neck with his jumper cables clutched tightly in his free hand. "Well, I guess my job is done, who's your friend?"

"Just someone from school, I'll have to thank him on Monday..." she said, crumbling his note in her hand before leaning into her dad and pecking his cheek. "I have to get ready for work, can you make sure it runs?"

When her father agreed, Mari went back into their lovely craftsman style bungalow and went to her room, changing into her waitressing uniform and neatly brushing her hair and teeth with her latest Spotify playlist playing quietly in the background.

When she was done, she kissed her father goodbye and climbed into her car, sighing in relief when the engine started with a gentle hum. Her vehicle definitely wasn't the flashiest at the school and is the daughter of a beloved doctor. It confused her friends because she could have whatever car she wanted, yet she saved her own money and bought a nearly fourteen-year-old car... One that could actually start.

The local diner was barely a seven-minute drive from their house. Mariana only worked about twenty hours a week over the Summer and usually ten during the school year, trying to balance out her education and hectic cheerleading schedule when they were competing to make it to State. Her short shift today would be immediately followed by multiple cups of coffee while she started on her mid-term paper.

Henny's was bustling as she clocked in at ten-thirty, tying her white apron around her waist and gathering her pad and pens together when her boss, Nicole, joined her. "You look peeved, what's wrong?"

Nicole was a beautiful African-American woman in her mid-twenties, with curly hair that reached her shoulders and full lips. She always smelled of Eucalyptus and Mint. She was a very caring and understanding person who cared for all of her staff, Mariana was fortunate to be under her management.

"I was having car issues, that's all," Mariana answered truthfully.

"Thankfully you're here, some kids your age just walked in and took our last booth," said Nicole, giving Mariana a playful pat on the back before fixing her full framed glasses and going into the kitchen to continue with prep.

Mariana took a deep breath and walked around the counter towards the last booth nearest to the door. She immediately stopped in her tracks when she saw the Godfrey cousins, sitting together while Shelley Godfrey, Roman's baby sister, sat across from them on her own.

wow, how convenient.

She plastered a smile on her face, not at all bothered by their presence. Only the thoughts of Roman's ignorance the night before plaguing her mind, and the fact that he had her car towed to her house overnight.

She greeted them kindly, her hands neatly folded in front of her as they looked up, Letha giving her a broad smile while Shelley only looked down at the table and Roman only licked his lips in good taste.

"What can I get for you guys?" Mariana asked, giving Shelley a small smile when the shy young lady looked up at her anxiously. Shelley was a Freshman at school, and she was teased continuously every day because she was about seven foot tall and always wore her black hair in front of her eyes. Mariana feared for her once Roman graduated in their class.

Letha ordered orange juice for both of them, while Roman met Mariana's eyes and requested black coffee. He winked at her.

When she went to get their drinks, her tanned cheeks flushed a deep shade of red.

They ordered breakfast, and while Mariana served other customers, she couldn't help but occasionally peek at the table of Godfrey's. The Godfrey name had a mixed reaction in Hemlock Grove; many thought they were a spoiled, terrible family that performed inhumane experiments on subjects at the White Tower, while others were intrigued that such a small town housed one of the wealthiest families in the country.

They were a beautiful family, indeed.

When her shift was over, and she was counting tips at one of the barstools, she felt a looming presence behind her and then Roman's voice, "Is your car okay?"

Without looking at him, she said, "Yeah, it works fine."

He nodded, though she couldn't see. "Good, I didn't have your keys so I couldn't get in... I had it towed, I hope that's okay,"

Mari shrugged, "You still helped me out, I'm just thankful for that much,"

Roman silently counted behind her, displeased when her total only came to forty dollars. He reached into his pocket, fishing out a few hundred and slipping them into the apron of her uniform when she wasn't looking. He did it quickly, smirking when she stood up and stood nearly a foot shorter than him. "I have to go, I'll see you on Monday," she said, giving him a timid smile and brushing past him. She smelled of vanilla, and it was delicious.