Eight.

Roman and Mariana ended up sleeping over in the living room, waiting for Peter to return home. Lynda woke up at her usual time and started some tea in the kitchen. The slight whistle of the teapot stirred Mariana out of her slumber, and she realized that they had slept quite awkwardly on the couch. They had stayed up rather late, talking about things they had in common and things they didn't, and ended up falling asleep facing each other, her face smashed into his chest.

Her skirt had pushed itself up while she slept, and as she tried to adjust it, Roman woke up, looking around in a daze. "The fuck?..."

Lynda noticed they were awake and asked them if they wanted anything to eat. They both declined, but Mariana agreed to have some tea while they waited. She sat with Lynda at the circular table while Roman went outside to have a smoke.

"Did you sleep, alright? I know that couch isn't the comfiest," Lynda said, placing a battered teacup in front of her before pouring them both a glass.

"Oh, it was fine, I can sleep anywhere," Mariana admitted, putting a few sugar cubes into her tea. "Roman is so tall I'm surprised he can even fit,"

"I'm sure he made an excellent pillow," Lynda said knowingly, taking a sip to hide her smile when Mariana looked away, embarrassed. "I don't know if you two mean anything to each other, but just watch yourself around the Godfreys, sweetie. They're not the best bunch to be around," Lynda said, mothering Mariana like she was her own.

"I've heard the reputation they have, but I guess I try to avoid the gossip and just see for myself," Mariana said quietly, stirring her tea around with a spoon. Lynda didn't say anything, and the look on her face was rather cold. "I don't know, I really didn't talk to Roman at all until the past few weeks."

"Just watch yourself, Mariana," Lynda said, her motherly tone gone as fast as it came. Mariana swallowed before taking massive gulps of her drink until her cup was empty. The door swung open, and Roman came in, much to her relief. Peter trailed in behind him, and both women jumped up from their chairs.

"Did you two really sleep here last night?" Peter asked as he sat on a chair, Lynda walking over to check him over while the other two sat on the couch. This time they sat a respectful distance from each other, but Mariana could feel Roman's eyes on her.

"We wanted to make sure you were alright," Roman answered, "And I'm curious to hear how your night was, it's not like I know a lot of werewolves,"

"It was like any other night, but..." Peter grew quiet, as did Lynda, who took a seat on the last chair and watched her son quietly. "There was something off about tonight, everything just felt... weird, like something bad was going to happen, or something bad is hanging around,"

"Do you think it has something to do with Brooke?" Mariana asked, and three pairs of eyes turned to look at her. "They never said what kind of animal killed her, maybe whatever it was is still out there,"

"That's possible, but I think we all know it wasn't a bear that attacked her," Peter said. "It was a wolf, it had to be,"

"Excuse me," Lynda said, standing up rather abruptly and walking into what Mariana assumed was her bedroom. There was an awkward silence at her dismissal, and Peter turned his attention to them. "You guys have to swear not to tell anybody at school if anybody finds out-"