"Is this mine? Who's it from?"

"Riddle."

Everyone watched me take the piece of parchment. On it was my name in Tom's familiar cursive script.

"Don't open it here, are you stupid?" One of the boys snapped.

I placed it carefully into my beaded bag and made to leave.

"Granger. From me to you," An unfamiliar boy stepped forward. Tall, like the others but with kinder eyes than the rest.

"Riddle is dangerous. But a man in love becomes more of a threat. Keep that in mind."

—————————

I walked into Professor Dumbledore's office to find him sitting behind his desk, an assortment of sweets in open tins before him.

With a sleight of hand Dumbledore had the door closed behind me.

"Come in and make yourself comfortable."
He welcomed. I obliged, taking the seat directly opposite. Before me several large pieces of Turkish Delight and what looked like carrot cake. I took one of each.

"Tea?"

"Yes, please."

As we ate we discussed a plan amongst ourselves.

"I have spoken with Headmaster Dippet and he is sworn to secrecy about this plan. You'll be returning to Hogwarts in about a week. That gives us enough time to go over everything and formulate a more stable plan of action against Tom. How does that sound?"

"To be honest Professor anything other than Riddle sounds good. I'll be happy to get away from here for a bit. I need the time to get my head together, I feel like a mess right now."
I placed the cup of tea heavily on the table.

"Understandably," Dumbledore nodded. "You've been dealt a difficult card. Not very many people would still be willing to fight when all seems lost."

Knock knock.

"Who is it?" Dumbledore placed his own tea cup down.

"It's Riddle, Sir."

Do you have the cloak? Dumbledore mouthed at me.

Yes.

I pulled the long silken cloak out of my bag and threw it over myself while Dumbledore extracted his wand from his cloak. Quickly, with one expert nonverbal spell he'd tidied up all traces of evidence that showed that I had even been here at all.

"Come in, Tom."

I stepped back very quietly so I was standing in the corner of the room observing the scene from a distance.

Tom stepped into the room, he was so tall he had to stoop a little to get through the doorway.

He looked slightly more pale, his black hair distinctly more messed. On a typical guy it would've looked a little concerning but Tom was one of those guys who seemed to look hot despite it all.

I watched in silence as he took the seat I was in moments before.

"Have you come to your senses?" Dumbledore inquired.

"Watch how you speak to me." Tom said mildly. "I am one of the smartest students in this school, if not the smartest. You should know this."

"I have no doubt you speak the truth. But you're only talking as far as your magical ability is concerned. I am referring to something of greater importance. The way you are treating people."

Tom smirked, his dark eyes lighting up in a malicious type of amusement.

"The way I treat people," He said coldly, "goes in accordance to the way they act toward me."

"That is a rather limited take on things, Riddle. I am surprised and forgive me, a little saddened; that you have succeeded so greatly academically but not yet matured. Such a waste of a sharp mind."

"The greater waste," Tom said icily, "Is your mind." He stood up to leave, clearly pushed past endurance. However Dumbledore waved him down.

"Surely you've come for a greater reason other than to insult my intelligence." He said modestly. "So what have you come for?"

"It doesn't matter."

"Call me an old fool if you will Tom but to me, it appears rather on the contrary. You look distinctly unsettled. Can I chance a guess as to what that could be about?"

Tom sat down, leaning back in his chair and observing Dumbledore with a careless yet calculating look.

"Humour me." He said coldly.

"Love is a curious thing," Dumbledore began lightly, pulling out the box of Turkish Delights that I had just helped myself to moments before.

"And quite cunning. If you are not expecting it, then it will surely startle you upon its visitation or even perhaps drive you into insanity. Typically, it's either one of the two."

Tom stiffened. "Only fools love." He said instantly. His tone was crisp, careless. "I am not one to barter with my own sanity."

"What if I were to say that Hermione Granger will not be staying a week away from the school? What would you say to that?"

"I would..." Tom looked for once at a loss for words, but then recovered himself instantly. "I would ask you why you think that concerns me."

"Well, you are a Prefect." Dumbledore pressed. "You do exercise something of an authority over her, do you not?"

I froze, my eyes widening. What was Dumbledore doing?

"Authority." Tom repeated. His eyes were shining very brightly. "Yes."

If Dumbledore was playing to capture Tom's interest it had worked. Tom looked far from storming out of the room now. Dumbledore had gotten him just where he needed him to be. Where I needed him to be.

"Hermione herself has told me she would like to take a month break." Dumbledore said suddenly.

We watched Tom's face, he was showing no signs of emotion. "Did she? Is she even allowed to spend that much time away from School? I would think she would fall beneath her classes. And the teachers will not be pleased about that."

"It doesn't matter what the teachers think or the workload she would have to catch up on. Dumbledore answered smoothly. "But if the Headmaster has approved it, well then there's no higher power in this vicinity. It goes only as high as the Headmaster, followed by the Ministry of Magic."

Tom looked away for a moment, his dark eyes unfocused. "I see." He said quietly.
"Sir, may I please be excused?"

"Of course, Riddle..."