flashback.

August 1st, 2002

10:27 am

     "Rise and shine!" A loud clanking sound startled Thomas awake from his spot on the floor. "Today's gonna be fun kids!"

     Thomas scowled as he saw the same guard with the face coverings banging his fists on the metal bars.

     El was laying next to him, her eyes were closed which made Thomas slightly scared. He gently shook her.

     "El, we gotta go."

     "Get the bitch up or I will."

     Thomas glared at him. "I'm trying! I don't know what you did to her yesterday but she's not okay...sh-she needs a doctor or someth-"

    The guard's wicked laugh cut Thomas off. "A doctor? You think a doctor could help her?"

     "She needs to go back to the school," Thomas said more confidently this time.

      He rolled his eyes and crossed his arms over his chest. "Stop talking about things you don't know about kid. We didn't hurt her, we enhanced her."

     "Enhanced?! She can barely move!"

     "Because she's fighting it. If she just gave in, she'd be fine...now get her up or I will and I'm not as nice as you are."

     Thomas shook El harder this time, the girl finally opened her eyes and blinked slowly at Thomas. Her chest was rising and falling at a pace that almost looked painful.

     "El, we gotta go somewhere okay?"

     She nodded weakly and moved to sit up. The spidery spot on her neck was larger than it was when they fell asleep and her eyes were bloodshot.

     Thomas helped her up and hooked his arm around her waist to help her walk.

    The guard swung the door open as he pulled out his gun and pressed it into Thomas' shoulder.

     "Listen real good kid, you run, I shoot you. You run and leave her, I put a bullet through her head."

     "What makes you think I'd leave her? And I can't run with her." Thomas shook his head at the mere stupidity of the man.

     "Fine, new set of rules. If you talk, I'll use this to break your teeth. Got it?" The guard shook the gun in Thomas' face. The boy had to seriously resist the urge to roll his eyes.

     "Good. Now walk." The man shoved him a bit toward the end of the hallway. "We're already late."

     Thomas bit his tongue and started down toward the door at the end of the hall. He had his arm around El, practically dragging her with him.

     El was quiet, moving slowly alongside Thomas the best she could.

     They were herded into the a strange room. There were some tubes on the wall and a bed in the middle that looked like it belonged in a hospital. The walls were painted a soft white color which somehow added to the overall eeriness of the room.

     Thomas could feel El stiffen next to him. He tightened his hold on her and took a small step back when he felt her start to shake.

     "What is this?" Thomas asked as the panic started kicking in.

     Before anyone could answer him, the door swung open and in walked the last person he wanted to see.

     "Hi Mom," Thomas practically spat as he hugged El tighter to his body. It was terrifying how still she was.