return.

August 6th, 1996

Addison grabbed her backpack, frantically throwing everything she could inside.

Ten minutes. All she had was ten minutes.

She could feel the sweat on her forehead and the pounding in her chest.

She kept looking over her shoulder as if they would be there, standing in the doorway, ready. It was unrealistic but six years of abuse drives an unrealistic fear into a person that's almost impossible to escape.

Once her bag was packed she threw it over her shoulder before dropping to the floor. She started lacing up her boots, her hands were shaking so hard she dropped the laces several times before regripping them and starting again.

Addison heard a bang from downstairs and was up in a flash. She scrambled to grab the screwdriver she managed to steal and wrench between her mattress and floor.

Footsteps. She could hear footsteps on the hardwood floor in the living room.

She jammed the screwdriver between the wooden window frame and sill, shoving it as hard as she could. Her window was secured shut, just like the doors in the house, it hadn't been opened in over ten years. That would change today.

She felt the panic rising in her throat as the window wouldn't budge. Hot tears pricked at her eyes as she slammed it harder and harder. She had to get out. If she didn't leave now, she wouldn't live to see tomorrow.

A loud snap sounded, she almost cried out in excitement. The wood has splintered, meaning it was working. She rammed the screwdriver into a new spot, feeling sweet relief when it was easier that time.

"Addison!" A voice roared from downstairs. "That noise better not be coming from you!"

There was the panic again. She stepped back, ramming her boot into the hilt of the screw driver. She winced slightly at the noise but quickly regained herself and yanked the driver out. She grabbed the splintered wood, yanking it up with all the strength she had.

"Yes!" She cried out as the window slammed up.

"ADDISON! What the fuck are you doing up there?!"

Addison held up her middle finger in the direction of her bedroom door frame. There wasn't actually a door due to it being removed years ago.

She hopped out the window, ignoring the slivers in her hands. A piece of wood in her hand was nothing compared to what they did to her.

She climbed down the ladder her father stupidly left there after he was done painting the shutters. He gave her the perfect escape.

As soon as her boots hit the grass she took off, the shouts from her old bedroom getting quieter with every step. She threw her arms out as she grinned and the wind whipped through her hair. She did it. She really did it. She was out, she was free, she never had to go back there again.

She didn't stop moving until she got to the abandoned apartment at the end of Braller street.

Addison wasn't running away as an act of "teenage rebellion". No, Addison was running away to survive.

July 13th, 2002

"I swear to god Thomas if you touch me one more tim-"

"I'm not even touching you!" Thomas shouted back at the blonde girl who was giving him her best scowl.

"Touch me instead." Newt grinned as he made grabby hands at his boyfriend who happily settled between his legs.