Lesson Three: Basic Intervals

An interval is any space between two pitches/notes. For example, the note C to the note C#  is one semitone. The note C to the note D is one whole-tone. There are many intervals, but in this lesson, we will look at the more common and basic ones.

Semitone: A semitone is the smallest possible interval in music. It is simply one note to the next note on the chromatic scale (the chromatic scale is just every white and black note on a keyboard). For example, C to C# is a semitone.

C to C# or D to D# or E to F or F# to G or G# to A or A# to B or B to C: Every single one of these jumps is a semitone.

Whole-Tone: A tone is double the distance of a semitone. For example, C to C# is a semitone and C to D is a tone. If you have six semitones, you have three tones, etc.

C to D or D to E or E to F# or F# to G# or G# to A# or A# to C: Every single one of these jumps is a tone.

Activity: Look at the keyboard above and work out how many tones or semitones the notes below are away from each other

1) D to E: _____________________ 7) A to B: __________________

2) G to G#: ____________________ 8) F to G: __________________

3) E to F: ______________________ 9) D to Cb: _________________

4) C to C#: _____________________ 10) E to Eb: __________________

5) B to C#: _____________________ 11) C to D: __________________

6) B to C: ______________________ 12) A to A#: _________________

Conclusion: A semitone is the very next pitch. For example, C to C#/Db is a distance of one semitone. A tone is the distance between two pitches. For example, C to D is a distance of a tone.